Saturday, September 5, 2015

Let's keep 'em closed, people...

Two years ago, a woman's blog post about slutty looking teenagers went viral.  The post was called "FYI-- If you're a teenage girl..."  Why am I remembering this?  Because I checked Facebook's "On this day" app and noticed that I had posted a link to a blogger's funny rebuttal.  The post that had spawned the rebuttal was removed, but not before it was viewed millions of times and shared all over the place.  Indeed, I even responded to the post myself...

A couple of days ago, another blogger wrote a post about an entirely different teen related topic.  Her post obliquely referenced the FYI post that has now been deleted but still exists all over the Internet.  Christine Organ writes:

Don’t worry; this isn’t going to be one of those letters. You know the kind. Some well-intentioned and wise adult writes with a just-trying-to-be-helpful shrug about how you should stop doing this or change that. Usually it has something to do with your clothing choices or selfie-taking habits or flirting protocols. Believe me, I’m just as sick of those “letters” as you are.

Two years later, I'm remembering that post and how it caused such a stir.  An Austin, Texas mom named Kim Hall wrote somewhat eloquently about how she was going to block girls who post inappropriate photos and YouTube videos from her sons' Facebook pages because she didn't want her boys seeing girls in their pajamas without bras or wrapped in just a towel.  She didn't want her boys to be unable to unsee the sexy teens in their midst and think of them in a sexual way.  I've never been a teenaged boy, but my guess is that it matters little how girls are dressed when boys are at a certain age.  A good stiff breeze can make them think of sex.    

For the record, I don't necessarily disagree with Mrs. Hall's points.  I don't like looking at scantily clad girls, either.  However, I think it's pretty hard to prevent people from seeing those images.  Humans are naturally curious beings and they like to see the forbidden.  So even if Mom scours her sons' Facebook pages every day, they will probably see some stuff she doesn't want them to see.  They may end up with hardened dicks, too.  Perish the thought.

What amazes me is that I had totally forgotten about this incident and was suddenly reminded of it due to another blogger's oblique mention of it.  I don't know if she wrote her post about teenaged girls at the swimming pool almost exactly two years later on purpose, but it does seem kind of strange.  

I also wonder if Kim Hall knew that her blog post would take off like it did.  I mean, when she wrote her "open letter" to girls two years ago, did she know that it would be the subject of so many blog rebuttals, Facebook arguments, videos, and online magazine articles?  I wonder why she took it down, too.  It made her kind of famous.  Her blog is still up and was recently updated.  My guess is that she got tired of the attention.  Taking the post down was kind of like closing the barn door after the horse has already gone... but hell, it probably made her feel better.

The overwhelming message I got was that people should keep their legs closed... and their minds closed.  Because sex is bad.  Thinking about sex is bad.  And teenagers in towels are bad.  Especially on Facebook and Instagram.

My thoughts are a little scattered this morning.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.