Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Fuck cancer...

I don't have too much to say today.  A couple of days ago, I noticed the knot (mast cell tumor) that the vet removed from Arran's forehead has come back.  It looks and feels the same as it did in July, except now he also has an incision scar from the surgery.  Unfortunately, it's very difficult to get all the cancer cells during tumor excision surgery.

I was going to take Arran to the vet yesterday because the scar looked infected, but it had cleared up by yesterday morning.  I cancelled the appointment because I'm trying Arran on a new diet and want to see if it helps before we go in.  Also, mid month is when Zane is due for his allergy shot.  I feel like I'm forever at the vet's office with my dogs.

If we do another surgery, it'll have to be after we take our trip to Austria next weekend.  I don't want Arran being boarded with fresh stitches.  Frankly, I'd rather not have him go through surgery again because I think it's pointless.  She takes the tumor off and it grows back in less than two months.

I am so tired of dealing with cancer in dogs.  It's heartbreaking.  Fortunately, Arran doesn't seem to be any worse for wear.  He still eats, plays, fights, and sleeps.  He's enjoying the new diet I started him on,  Cleo's diet, which is low in carbs, high in protein and fat, and supplemented with ricotta cheese, fish oil, and turmeric paste.  I don't know how helpful it'll all be, but I figure it can't hurt.  If any of my readers are dealing with mast cell tumors in dogs, I recommend joining get Holistic Help for Dogs with Mast Cell Cancer group on Facebook.  There's a lot of good information there.

Fuck cancer.  Fuck it right in the face.




2 comments:

  1. Hi knotty, I just wanted to ask how Arran is going with Cleo's diet? My dog, Tess, has been diagnosed with mct & I'm researching holistic methods. Thanks, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel,

      He's doing fine. No more tumors so far. He's now just getting Benadryl and Orijen dog food.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.