Thursday, September 3, 2015

Abscess vs. tumor...

I don't know if I should be cautiously optimistic or not... but it seems what I thought was tumor regrowth was actually an abscess.  How could I mistake the two?  Easy.

The bump on Arran's head was at the incision, right near where he had his surgery.  It was hard and round, just like the tumor was.  It wasn't hairless.  I did notice it looking a little pointy like abscesses do, but I guess I just figured the area had already healed and wasn't expecting infection there.  Okay... maybe the thought crossed my mind, but I was in doomsday mode.

So, I walked the dogs this morning and, after starting some tomato sauce for dinner, went up to my computer.  When I came back downstairs, the lump on Arran's face was a little bloody.  I grabbed some toilet paper and wiped it, then squeezed gently.  Sure enough, out came some bloody pus.  The area seems to have mostly drained and is flat again.

I soaked it with hot compresses and flushed it with vet spray.  There is a hole where the nasty stuff escaped, but it looks better than it did.  The lump is flat now.


This is what it looks like...

I was going to take Arran in the other day because the other side of the scar was oozing a bit, but then it seemed to clear up.  When I was palpating the above wound, I squeezed the other side and a little more pus came out.  My guess is that he broke the skin while scratching himself and got an infection.

While no one wants to deal with an abscess, I would rather deal with an abscess than a tumor.  So I hope that's all it is... and a round of antibiotics will clear it up.

ETA: Bill took Arran in to see the vet last night.  She thinks one of the subcutaneous stitches she put in didn't dissolve properly.  Anyway, the wound looks better now...


Not as red and less swollen.

4 comments:

  1. Whew! :) Hope he keeps healing well and stays cancer-free, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so glad it appears he is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I have been stressing all week about this.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.