Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Horse pucky...

It's been awhile since I last wrote a true Mormon related blog post.  I have found that lately, I care a lot less about the church and what it's doing.  Perhaps coincidentally, I care less about Bill's ex daughters, too.  I guess I'm finally evolving and letting go of all that's happened.  I feel compelled to write about the church today because of a news item I just read.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has just released photos of the "stone" Joseph Smith supposedly used to translate the Book of Mormon.  To my eyes, the small, smooth, somewhat striped, egg-shaped brown rock bears an uncanny resemblance to a perfectly formed clod of striated horse manure.  I used to shovel horse manure all the time, so I know what it looks like.

Given what I've learned about the LDS church since I've been married to Bill, I think it's very fitting that the so-called "seer stone" looks like horse shit.  Because that's pretty much what I think the church itself looks like.

I know a lot of people love the LDS church and it makes them happy.  I think people should be able to follow their beliefs, as long as their beliefs don't impinge on other peoples' rights.  I do think the Mormon church is a bunch of malarkey, though.  I just do.  And even if I didn't think the Mormon stories I've heard were completely unbelievable, I'd still hate the way the church tends to treat people.

In any case, I wonder what makes people think this is really the stone Joseph Smith used.  How do they know?  How can the rank and file membership be sure that no one within the church didn't just find that rock somewhere and get it polished so it looks unusual?

I read in the article I linked to that the church plans to keep this stone, which has always been in its possession, but has never been photographed, locked up in a vault.  I guess that makes sense.  Even if it's just an ordinary rock, the mystique surrounding it may be enough to keep people curious about Mormonism.

Church officials claim the photo of the stone is now published for "transparency" purposes.  I think it would be more transparent if they allowed members access to financial records and told investigators the whole truth about the church before baptizing them.  No more of this "milk before meat" shit that they claim is necessary because investigating members are not spiritually mature enough to understand the church.

Anyway, since I am not a church member, this news means little to me.  I just felt like observing that the stone looks a bit like horse shit to me.  And I think it's appropriate that the stone looks like horse shit, because I think the LDS church is a big load of horse shit.  If seeing the stone brings people comfort and transparency, though, I guess that's not an awful thing.

 


    

2 comments:

  1. As the half-Mormon that i am, I cannot qquite figure out why the church would do this. No one believes more because of it. Those who already believed will continue to do so. Those who don't believe find it , as yuo su aptly expressed it, horse maanure. those somewhere in the middle could not possibly find this a major swaying ppoint in their belief toward the church.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.