Saturday, August 8, 2015

Fucking Austria...

This morning, I have been searching for a place for Bill and me to go for a few nights in September.  I was looking at Switzerland because he really wants to visit Gruyeres and see the Giger museum.  But Switzerland is expensive and there are other places we want to see.  One place I've been itching to go to is a hotel in a small town in Austria called Franking.  The hotel has a beer spa treatment and we all know how I feel about beer.

But then I was looking to see what there is to do in Franking and, as I was searching, I noticed a small town called Fucking located just a few miles away.  Amused by the name, I looked it up and discovered that the people of Fucking, Austria have really been having a fucking hard time of it.  Tourists from English speaking countries have been showing up, stealing their signs, having intercourse in front of the signs, and otherwise bringing salacious humor and notoriety to a very traditional Austrian town.  They've even tried to change the name, but the name they wanted to use is already taken.

Franking and Fucking (pronounced Fooking) are also both located not so far from Wank Mountain.  Of course, they are also located near Salzburg, which Bill and I visited on a day trip and really enjoyed.  I wouldn't mind staying in Salzburg, actually...

What worries me is that there may not be enough in the area to hold my interest, despite all the fucking innuendoes.  It does look like pretty country, though, and generally speaking, if I can find a nice view, decent beer, and good food, I'm pretty much good to go.

I was also considering Innsbruck and Bolzano, Italy for quick getaway possibilities.  We want to drive, though, and don't necessarily want to spend hours in the car to get to and from our destination.  Eh... we'll probably just go to Switzerland.  It's been a long time since we last stayed there and Bill really wants to see that museum.  And Gruyeres has cheese and chocolate, too.

As we were having breakfast this morning, Bill and I discussed how now our problems include choosing a place to visit for a long weekend.  There are so many great choices!  I could spend the rest of my life in Europe and still not see all there is to see.  I'm having fun trying...  but seriously, I need to get to Fucking, Austria, even if it's just to bathe in some beer.

We might need to flip a coin.

ETA:  Well... look at this!  There is even a Fucking Hell beer...  It's made in Germany and named after the town of Fucking.  And hell is a type of German pilsner, so the name is totally legit!


2 comments:

  1. We went through Intercourse, Pennsylvania. Nothing so exciting was happening there., Perhaps because it's in the heart of Amish country.

    My pseudorelatives had a foreign excahnge student from Innsbruck when I was little. We spent time with the family when she was with them, and she flew out for a month so she could have the California experience in addition to the Florida experience. My parents visited her family two years ago when they were in Europe. Her parents and her own young family have visited us in California. Jillian's parents visit with her and with her parents every other year or so. These people are dying for the whole exended clan - both ours and the pseudos - to have the Tyrolean Christmas experience, especially since we're all Catholic and most of their region s Catholic, and we're usical as well Music is pparently a big part of the tradition. We probably should do it as soon as Jillian's baby is old enough to travel when Matthew and I can get Christmas off, as in next year, if we're ever going to do it.

    You and bill have an inside track in that you have become locals. For true tourists such as my family, the most unique experience we could probably have would be to be guests of natives.


    Maybe you and Bill should have the Tyrolean christmas experience? I've seen bits of it featured on the steve what's -his-name's PBS travel specials, and it looks quite nice.

    My family would never be so crass as to steal a sign or commit a lewd act in front of it, but we would have our pictures taken standing in front of or around it and use it on the next year's Christmas card.

    How far is Fucking from Innsbruck, although we know that fucking must happen INJ innsbruck or there wouldn't be so many little Innsbruckians.?

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.