Friday, July 17, 2015

Will they go away now?

So, TLC finally cancelled 19 Kids and Counting.  We knew this decision was coming, but we also knew they didn't want to do it.  Why?  Because the Duggars, for all their sanctimonious bullshit, are like a train wreck.  People love to watch their show for whatever reason at all.  Some people like to watch it because they think the Duggars are amazing Christians.  Some watch it to snark on it.

The Duggars weren't always that interesting, though.  Somewhere in the middle of their show's run, things got really boring.  I quit watching for probably two years or so.  It was only when Jessa and Ben got together that I became interested in their show again.  Then things got all sordid and weird.

I'm not one of those people who gets all irate and feels the need to ban things when something bad comes out.  That seems to be the knee jerk response of a lot of Americans.  Someone who worships a Confederate battle flag goes crazy and shoots up a church?  We gotta ban the flag!  A well known comedian allegedly rapes a bunch of women while they're drugged?  We can't air his shows anymore, no matter how good they were.  It doesn't matter who else was on the show and what their contributions were.  They are now guilty by association.  A well known TV chef drops the n-bomb?  Gotta cancel her show, too... and all her product endorsements.  A guy goes on a rant toward people who take him to task for inadvertently promoting eating disorders?  He loses his show, too... although in that case, I kind thought the dude deserved it because he was actively egging on his detractors.

I can see why people feel the need to ban these well known entertainers for the naughty things they say and do.  I guess I can see why people think they deserve to be punished.  I just don't think banning them does much to change the conditions that led to them getting in trouble.  It doesn't make people forget them or what they did.

In any case, I don't think it's a bad thing that the Duggars have been cancelled.  They had a nice long run... longer than they deserved, really.  They're no longer living in a tiny house, sleeping on top of each other.  They probably made enough money to be comfortable for awhile.  The kids have been exposed to more normal people... which seems really odd, given that they had to be on a reality TV show for that to happen.  One of them may even break out and write a tell all.  I'm sure at least a couple of them will do something other than be fundies.  And, above all, all of this will eventually blow over.  These things always do.

In other news...  my travel blog caught the attention of a reporter/blogger at a well known newspaper. We had a Skype interview yesterday.  It was fun talking to him about a certain gimmick employed by one of the budget airlines here in Germany that I have taken advantage of three times so far.  I am being evasive, but I don't want to spoil the surprise.  Sometimes these things don't pan out.  In any case, when it gets printed, if my part doesn't end up in the cutting room, I will share it.

It's hot here and tomorrow, we have to pick up my mom at the airport.  With any luck, she will enjoy her brief stay in Germany with her youngest daughter.  I have a feeling she's going to have a lot to say.







  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.