Thursday, July 30, 2015

What do lions have to do with being barefoot and pregnant?

Until this whole debacle surrounding Cecil the Lion, I would never have guessed that lions could be involved in the abortion argument.  And yet, thanks to Facebook, I see that even a rare, beautiful, protected lion that was mercilessly hunted down and killed by a bloodthirsty dentist can be involved in the abortion debate.

Behold...



These are just two I saw after opening my eyes this morning...

Now, I have seen the damning videos of Planned Parenthood executives discussing the sale of fetal tissue to undercover abortion opponents.  Yes, I did find them somewhat disturbing to watch, though I think some of what was released to the public was taken out of context.  Moreover, while I personally find the idea of abortion repugnant, I support abortion rights because I think it's far worse to bring an unwanted child into the world than have an abortion.  No one I know remembers being in the womb and I have doubts that fetuses have any concept of what life is.  However, pregnant women can and do face significant risks and I think it should be entirely up to them to decide if they want to give birth.  

I don't think what someone else does with their body is my business and that includes forcing pregnant women to stay pregnant.  The United States is far too fucked up to be demanding that all pregnant women carry their babies to term.  There are too many people who don't have enough to survive and too many fucked up people who do have enough but shouldn't be parents.  When every citizen in the United States has access to affordable, accessible, and available health care and decent food and housing, maybe then I could get in line with the pro-life crowd.  But that will never happen in my lifetime.

I am a big proponent of personal responsibility.  I am not a fan of people having casual sex willy nilly.  I am a big fan of contraception and safety when it comes to sharing DNA.  I think abortion itself is vile and disgusting.  As for the tissue that results from an abortion, I can't see how it's more of an insult to that life for that tissue to be used for research than to be thrown in a trashcan or an incinerator.  If the fetus is dead anyway, what the hell difference does it make?  If that tissue can be used to further medical science that will eventually help already born men, women, and children, I think it may even be a noble thing that the tissue is sold rather than tossed away.  At least that tissue has served a purpose of some sort.

The people who are outraged over Planned Parenthood's abortion activities and the sale of fetal tissue aren't focusing at all on the good that can be done with the tissue that results from an abortion or a miscarriage.  They are focusing on how grisly, barbaric, and revolting an abortion is.  But, I will bet that if any of them ever suffers from or has a child with a rare medical disorder that can benefit from medical research, they might change their tune.

Another thing I notice is that a whole lot of the people who are crowing about Planned Parenthood right now are men.  That's right-- MALES... who, unless they are transgendered, will never be pregnant and won't ever have to deal with the risks or the aftermath of being pregnant.  Indeed, quite a few men don't even stick around to help raise the children they create with their seed.  Others, like my husband, end up paying for children they aren't even allowed to see or help raise, because they happened to have sex with a psycho who thinks her kids are extensions of her body.

I've seen a lot of posts from men about women having abortions and how wrong that is.  I can't help but wonder what that's all about.  One guy posted that he thinks abortions should only be allowed in cases of rape-- as if a child conceived in rape is any less innocent than a child conceived from carelessness is...  And does he realize that if we only allow abortions in certain situations, there will be a lot of lying going on?  There will also be a lot of women hurting and killing themselves in order to cause a miscarriage. It happened before, when abortion was outlawed.  Those who could afford it would just go to a place where abortion is legal.  I see a lot of men saying that adoption is a better alternative.  Does it occur to them how difficult it is for a woman to give up her child?  They make it sound like it's the simplest thing in the world.

Look... when it comes to parental rights, I am all for equality AFTER a child is born.  But when a child is still in utero, it is still part of the woman's body.  She bears the responsibility and the risks for growing that child in her body.  Whether or not she carries it should be entirely up to her.  Otherwise, why don't we just lock up pregnant women and treat them like incubators?  Feed them, walk them, give them a warm place to sleep and access to a doctor while they make more babies for the state... babies who will eventually grow up and not be able to move out of their parents' home, find a decent job, or make enough money to pay their bills.

As for Cecil, the Lion, I haven't said much about it because it just makes me sad to think that a dentist would spend so many thousands of dollars to go to Africa and hunt down a beautiful, wild creature so he can decapitate it and hang it on his wall.  I am nauseated by the idea that Dr. Walter Palmer is a healthcare worker who apparently enjoys bleaching his teeth.  I understand that he now "deeply regrets" what he did.  Yeah, right.  I doubt it mattered to him that Cecil was a much beloved, iconic lion.  It only matters because he is now the subject of a lot of public hatred and scorn.  His business is now suffering and I think he'll end up paying far more than $55,000 for killing that cat.  It seems like a huge waste of time and money.

I have seen too many pictures of dead wild animals, lately.  Frankly, I find trophy hunting photos just as disturbing as pictures of dead fetuses.  At the same time, I understand that I'm a hypocrite because I am a meat eater.  And I eat meat that comes from animals who have lived far worse lives than Cecil did.  That's just one of many things I need to work on in this lifetime.

I think Facebook is a cesspool of people pontificating about stuff they know little about and have not given much thought to.  Posting stupid memes comparing abortion and Planned Parenthood's sale of fetal tissue to Cecil the Lion's execution is just non-sensical and does absolutely nothing to effect real change for good.    

Aside from that, I think this world generally sucks... and I say this as someone who has a lot to be thankful for and is luckier than most people.  Life is way overrated. 

2 comments:

  1. I just don't get the idea of killing for the fun of it. I don't even get the entertainment value of boxing.

    English teachers everywhere should save the copies of the pro-lifers' comparisions between the outrage over Cecil's killing and the selling of fetal tissue, as a more precise embodiment of "non sequitur" would be difficult to find.

    How's Arran doing? I realize that your concerns are probably more long-term, but still I'm worried about the poor little guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arran is just fine. He isn't sick. I just worry about cancer.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.