Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Rest in peace, Ann Rule...

Ann Rule is famous for her book The Stranger Beside Me, which was all about her time knowing and working with serial killer Ted Bundy.  For decades, former Seattle policewoman Ann Rule has been thrilling readers with her books about true crime.  I have been a big fan of hers since I was in high school.  Her books led me to read other true crime books, which I have reviewed, and inspired me do my own research of true crime cases.  I notice a lot of people find this blog thanks to my interest in true crime.

Last night, I happened to see a Facebook post from true crime author Kathryn Casey about Ann Rule, who had been hospitalized for a host of health problems.  Sunday night, Ann Rule died.  She was 83.  She leaves behind several children and many devoted fans who eagerly awaited her newest books.

While the last few books I've read by Ann Rule haven't been as compelling to me as her earlier works were, I always found her stories well-written, well-researched, compassionate, and usually pretty fascinating.   I will miss reading new work by her, as I have read pretty much every true crime book she's ever written.  Some of her books are worth re-reading.  For instance, I have read Bitter Harvest, her book about Dr. Debora Green, several times.  I have also read Small Sacrifices, Rule's account of narcissist Diane Downes, more than once.

I generally like her book length stories better than the anthologies of shorter stories she tended to put in her later works.  As she was growing older and had more health issues, I can understand why the stories were not as comprehensive.  It takes a lot of legwork to write a good true crime story.

Kathryn Casey got the chance to meet Ann Rule and she said she was a lovely woman.  While I never met her, I do remember looking at her official Web site.  She seemed like such a warm, kind person who was eager to reach out to the people who enjoyed her work.

I have often regarded Kathryn Casey as sort of the Texas version of Ann Rule, who usually wrote about crimes in the Pacific Northwest.  I am glad we still have Kathryn Casey around to write great true crime.  I can't deny that I will really miss Ann Rule's books, though.  I hope she is at peace.  I wish peace to her family and friends, too.







  

4 comments:

  1. RIP. When i get the nerve, I'll have to read her account of Ted Bundy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a truly thrilling book. I remember being awestruck by it.

      Delete
  2. I'm currently reading one of her books

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was a wonderful author. I will miss waiting for her next book.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.