Monday, July 20, 2015

More political bullshit...

This morning, I read at least two lengthy diatribes about our lame duck president, Barack Obama.  In those diatribes, there was much pontificating about how Mr. Obama is a "disgrace to our nation" and a terrible excuse for a leader.  People have the right to their opinions, I guess.  But then I remember ten years ago, when George W. Bush was our president and I read much the same bullshit about him. People called him a war criminal, a murderer, and The Antichrist.

Folks, I don't really care one way or the other about your political leanings.  I understand people get frustrated and want to vent.  I understand that many people perceive that U.S. presidents have a lot of power that they abuse.  I know people think they have all the answers and get upset when the president makes decisions they don't agree with or think is dead wrong.  I get that.

I just don't think that posting shaming rants on Facebook does a lot.  I don't think the president gives a shit what your opinion is.  Most presidents are narcissists.  It's a requirement for the job.  Some are more narcissistic than others are, but they all have incredible brass balls and they all think highly enough of themselves to run for public office.  So your rants on Facebook or in emails (which I frequently get from certain conservative relatives) don't make a happy damn to them.  We have to have a president and, in order to be president, one has to be a bit of an asshole with a lot of self-confidence.  Regular folks with normal egos couldn't handle the job.

Now, I say this... and I know most people are probably painfully aware that most politicians don't give too much of a shit what the average person thinks.  And I know people like to blow off steam.  I do it myself all the time.  In fact, that's what this post is about.  I am sick and tired of political bullshit and I hope we can stay in Germany until at least 2017, because I really don't want to be around when the next presidential election is going on.  I don't want to see or hear the political ads.  It'll be bad enough hanging out on social media.

I bitch about a lot of things.  I have a lot of opinions I enjoy sharing on this blog especially.  I rarely complain about the president, though, because I don't see the president as having all that much power.  He is one man; he is one human being.  All human beings make mistakes.  No one can make everybody happy.  Someone is always going to get the short end of the stick and be dissatisfied.  I don't remember there ever being a president within my lifetime who was universally well liked and appreciated.  Not even Bill Clinton, who was fairly popular, enjoyed the admiration of most everyone.  My father, for example, despised Mr. Clinton with every fiber of his dyed in the wool conservative being.  He literally hated him and would get upset every time he'd see him on TV.  Then he'd have to go listen to Rush Limbaugh for awhile to calm down.

The way I see it, Barack Obama is soon going to be history.  He's going to ride off into the sunset and write books, give speeches, serve on committees, and maybe become a lovable grandpa.  Right now, he's focusing on his legacy.  It doesn't matter if you think he's an asshole.  He's not running for re-election.  He will go down in history as our first black president.  In 100 years, school kids will be learning about him, probably in a very positive light... the same way I learned about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln when I was in school.

I do hope Donald Trump doesn't end up as president because he is probably the biggest asshole of the bunch...  though I would probably choose him over Jeb Bush or Mike Huckabee (or any of the others of his ilk).  I do not want a religious nut job leading our nation.  Hillary Clinton certainly has experience and would bring her popular husband to the table as the first first man...  But I am damn sick of political dynasties and I would love to see someone new with brass balls come to the table.

If I do vote in our next election, I think I will do what I usually do and vote for someone who is neither Democrat nor Republican.  I know that person has no chance of winning, but I think president is a big enough job that we should have more of a choice as to which brand of narcissistic asshole should get the job.

Anyway... that's my vent of the day.  Fuck politics.  And fuck political bullshit.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.