Saturday, July 11, 2015

If you smoke, please try to quit...

This morning, I found out a former Epinions "colleague" died.  I didn't know Bobby well.  We were Facebook friends because I picked up a lot of Facebook friends after the demise of Epinions.  He'd been very sick recently and suffered from a host of illnesses, everything from HIV/AIDS and COPD to diabetes and hypertension.  I would not mention all of this except he himself had mentioned it many times, even recently posting a photo of the huge array of drugs he was taking.

The other day, Bobby posted a picture of himself in a hospital gown, wearing what looked like an oxygen mask.  He captioned his photo "See what 43 years of smoking gets you. I'm a sexy bitch!!!!"  He looked very tired in the photo and appears to have either smoke or steam cascading around his head.  I hope it was steam, since I have heard oxygen and open flames don't mix.

This is an impassioned plea he posted last month, addressed to young people...

MY WORDS TO YOU TEENAGERS, PLEASE DO NOT SMOKE CIGARETTES. PLEASE DON'T GET STARTED ON ALCOHOL. I AM LIVING PROOF, AFTER 45 YEARS OF SMOKING I'M ABOUT TO LOSE MY KIDNEYS, MY LEGS, MY TEETH AND THE WORST OF IT ALL IT'S SO VERY HARD TO BREATHE. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE I WILL SHOW YOU FACE TO FACE, IT'S NOT A PRETTY PICTURE. GIVE YOUR BODY A CHANCE AND PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES I HAVE SPECIALLY WHEN YOU LIVE ALONE. DO IT FOR ME, YOU'LL THANK ME LATER. PLEASE, i NEED PRAYERS...

Just days ago, Bobby posted that he'd eaten some strawberries that apparently had bacteria on them.  Because he was severely immunocompromised, the bacteria made him very sick.  He spent three days in the hospital this week receiving IV antibiotics.  He had just gotten a bill for $15,000 after staying in the hospital for a week last month.  But through it all, he was still posting on Facebook.

A few days ago, a mutual friend confessed that she still smokes, despite having watched her mother die of COPD.  She posted on Bobby's oxygen mask photo that she's been smoking for over twenty years and needs to quit.  On July 8th, days before he died, Bobby posted a plea to our mutual friend...

Please quit smoking. I can't tell you how to live your life, but believe me you'll see it more like a heroin habit in your 40's and 50's. I used to exercise all day cutting grass and landscaping now I can't walk up one flight of steps or past 50 feet. Do your love ones and your body this favor.

I'm sure Bobby had no way of knowing he was about to die.  He had been very ill and was struggling with a lot of serious health problems, but even up to his end, he was begging friends to take care of themselves... even people he was only friends with because of Epinions.com.

I am not a smoker.  I do have some unhealthy habits that I need to change.  I still have time.  Bobby ran out of time.  It was pretty clear to me that Bobby wasn't ready to die.  So, as a tribute to him, I am posting a little about Bobby with the hope that I can encourage someone to quit smoking.  If you smoke, please try to quit.

In other news, it looks like those three kids who have been detained at Children's Village in Michigan are going to be released for a couple of weeks so they can attend summer camp.  Evidently, it was their father who asked for this concession.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.