Thursday, July 16, 2015

Annoying "blahgers"....

*"blahg" is an inside joke among local Stuttgart Venters.

A few months ago, someone in the local Vents group vented about my travel blog.  They said nobody cared about it.  So I advised them not to read it.  The funny thing is, the blog post she was complaining about was getting a lot of hits.  Obviously, people DID care somewhat and were showing me by reading my post about Hello Fresh.  That post remains one of my most popular travel related posts, much to my chagrin.  I would rather people be more interested in my actual "travel" posts.  But whatever, right?

It's been several months and I'm starting to understand why people get annoyed with bloggers.  Since I've been in Germany, I've been pushing my blogs a bit more.  I didn't used to advertise this blog at all, because I was afraid it would invite drama.  Some of my posts are about people I actually know, you see, and I didn't want feelings to be hurt.  But then I realized that I kind of like it when people read and leave comments, most of the time, anyway.  Sometimes I piss people off and they leave me irate comments.  I try to be even handed with my responses, unless the comments come from people who think they can insult Bill or try to tell me what I can or can't write about.  Then I rip them a new one.

I try to only share stuff on Facebook that I think will interest people.  Some of my posts are kind of inane and/or about nothing, so I don't disseminate those to the masses.  I usually put links to all of my posts on my Overeducated Housewife Facebook page, but sometimes I don't.  It depends on the topic.  If I think it will bore people or invite a lot of drama, I don't advertise.  Most of my posts get shared on my personal Facebook page and The Overeducated Housewife page.  If I think they will interest specific populations, I may share them elsewhere, like in certain Facebook groups.  Very rarely, I'll get people who come back repeatedly to read every day.  I do try not to be annoying about posting stuff, but I know I fail sometimes.  You can't please everybody.  

Of course, many times I am wrong about what people will find interesting.  Case in point-- two of my most popular posts on this blog are about whether or not it's legal to put unstamped mail in a mailbox and the danger of dog hair getting embedded in one's bare foot.  With all the true crime and personal drama I share on this blog, you'd think people would be reading more of those posts.  But no... it turns out the really inane shit-- stuff people could easily Google and obviously do-- are what people seem to enjoy reading the most on this blog.  Those kinds of posts also seem to invite the most entertaining comments.

So, there's a woman in the local community who posts links to her blog all the time and it's starting to annoy me.  Her links to her blog always include a shit ton of pictures.  When I first encountered her postings, I enjoyed them.  Now I find them irritating and it's getting to the point at which I have bad feelings when I see them.  I almost got to the point of blocking her today, but I realized that blocking should probably only be done in extreme situations.  I don't feel strongly enough about this person to block her yet, but I do find myself heading in that direction.  I suspect that some people in the community feel that way about me, too.  

I think what annoys me the most is that we seem to be overlapping a bit.  I go somewhere and post about it, then she goes to the same place.  Or vice versa.  And she seems to be the authority on most things.  Sometimes she's wrong about what she posts, but I don't feel right correcting her because I fear it will stir up drama.  I guess it seems a little like we're in competition.  I don't want to compete with anyone, though.  I mainly blog because I don't have much else to do with my time.

I suppose I could make my blogs more "niche" oriented.  I hate to do that, though, because then I am confined to posting about a narrow array of topics.  There's no telling what I'll have on my mind at any given time, so it's not useful for me to narrow things down too much.  On my travel blog, you'll find posts that run the gamut from trip reports to advice on how to remove hard water stains from your shower.  I wouldn't have thought hard water stain removal would be that interesting, but I actually got a thank you from one reader who lives in California and was having hard water stain issues.  Like I said... there is no telling what people will find fascinating.

There's another blogger I hooked up with... I'm not really sure how.  She seems to be a nice lady and has sort of an entertaining writing style, except for her penchant for being American and using the word "whilst".  But that shouldn't annoy me, right?  Because it's just a little quirk.  She probably thinks it's cool.  Some people probably find my constant habit of starting sentences with conjunctions, using ellipses, and writing things like "actually", "of course", and...  well, shit I can't think of my other annoying writing habits right now, but I know I've got them.  Someone out there might even help me out with this.

Anyway, this lady signed me up for a Facebook group consisting of military related bloggers.  I don't really participate too much because I kind of don't feel like I'm part of that group anymore.  I know I'll always be in a military community.  I always have been.  But I don't really feel like the typical Army wife-- or even the typical retiree's wife.  In fact, there aren't that many groups that I feel like I'm a part of.  I never have.  I guess, if I were going to put it in dog terms, I'd say I'm not very "pack oriented".  I'm more of a lone wolf-- a REBEL!  Just kidding.


I relate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I understand now why some people find blahgers annoying.  I guess I am one of those annoying blahgers.  But I probably won't stop blahging anytime soon, because I honestly have nothing better to do.  And besides, it's my one claim to fame, right?  It's either this, or continue to post annoying karaoke videos on YouTube.

Well.... someone in Hawaii has jut inspired me to make a pizza.  So I think that's what I'll do now.  Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.