Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Nagging bitches...

The other day, while Bill and I were in The Netherlands, I did something I hate to do.  I nagged Bill about his declining physique.  You may think I'm a hypocrite for doing that.  You'd be right.  I am in no position to nag anyone about their body.  But I did last week.  We were sitting at the table and Bill's gut was protruding a bit.  I don't remember exactly what I said, but I mentioned it.  He flushed and was immediately embarrassed.  He said now he was going to starve himself.

I said, "There is no need to do that.  I think you just need to go back to the gym."

When Bill was on active duty, going to the gym was part of his job.  He had to work out to continue to meet weight standards.  Now that he's retired, he doesn't have to do that anymore.  So he goes to work earlier than he needs to, works hard all day, comes home, fixes dinner, and drinks beer.  It's all starting to pile up in his gut.  I worry about that because his father has had heart issues and Bill has high blood pressure.  I also think working out will help him relax and sleep better.  Indeed, Bill said this morning he walked 3.5 miles in the countryside near where he works and it got the day off to a good start.  Heh heh heh.... that reminds me of the "Good Start Grow Smart" program I used to have to know about when I had a job.

Now... having said all of that, I realize that the same advice applies to me, except for the working hard part.  I have been trying to walk the dogs more because it's good for all of us and it helps me clear my head.  When we were in The Netherlands last week, we did a lot of walking.  Bill even started paying attention to the number of steps recorded on our iPhones.  Even after all the walking we did, I still need to do more and consume less.  It's unlikely I will ever be skinny, but it would be nice to be less round.

Speaking of nagging bitches, I called my mom yesterday because she's planning to visit us next month.  Actually, mom has mellowed out a lot in the last couple of years.  I even told her about trying marijuana while we were in Haarlem.  She was okay with it and even had a laugh as I described my giggling fit in a Croatian restaurant.  I explained that me on marijuana was like an intensified version of myself while being very silly.  I'm sure if I indulged while depressed, my depression might intensify.  But I was in a good mood in The Netherlands, so I had a good time.  In fact, I think Bill likes me better under the influence of pot than booze.  Booze occasionally makes me angry... or less inhibited about expressing my anger.

Anyway, my mom is excited about her big trip.  I am certain she will have a blast because she'll be on her own on a ship where she will be pampered ridiculously.  I am jealous because I want to go with her.  After she finishes in Budapest, she will stay in a really nice hotel that Bill and I enjoyed a few years ago.  Then she will visit us.  I told her it may be a rude awakening.  Actually, she's only staying four nights and by then, she may be ready to relax.  Right now, she says she wants to visit cute little towns.  We got a lot of those around here, so I think I may be able to oblige.  In fact, I have a feeling my mom will love Germany.

I suppose I ought to comment on the whole Confederate battle flag debate that's going on right now.  The truth is, I grew up in a place where that flag was everywhere.  I grew up in a time when it was glamorized by shows like The Dukes of Hazzard.  I went to grad school in a place where it flew over the Statehouse... until it was taken down in 2000.  Now it's in front of the Statehouse and people are calling for its removal.

I understand why people want to see the flag removed.  I can see why people are offended by it.  At the same time, I don't think banning the flag will do much more than drive up the prices on eBay.  When it comes down to it, the Confederate flag is a symbol and a part of history.  I don't think it's relevant anymore and it probably belongs in a museum rather than on the grounds of a government building.  However, simply removing the battle flag is not going to stop racism.  It will make people some money on eBay.  Oops... I stand corrected about eBay.

Actually, this mess in South Carolina makes me glad I live in Germany.  Today's Time Hop reminds me that a year ago, I was hating life in Texas.







2 comments:

  1. I think it's time for the confederate flag to come off government buildings. You're right that the removal will do little to stop racism, but i believe it's aa symbolic act that should happen.

    Regarding bill and the gym, it has to be a tough transition from the military, wheere doing what you must to maintain weight is mandaatory, to not really having to do anything. Still, it's about health. you are a couple who likes to eat high-quality food, and so there's probably a proice to pay in terms of that. As long as everyone remembers it's really about heaalth and not how someone looks except to the extent that looking a certain way can be a symptoms of something, it should all be good. If things run in his family, of course you will worry. you love him and want him to be around for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... you're right. I want him to be around for a long time.... and on that note, have a look at my "freak accidents" post. Someone I know suddenly lost her husband.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.