Saturday, June 6, 2015

My take on the Duggar Daughters' interview with Megyn Kelly...

Since I watched Boob and Michelle talk to Megyn Kelly on Fox News, I decided to hear what Duggar daughters Jill and Jessa have to say.  On the whole, I think Jessa and Jill come off as much more sincere and credible than their parents do.  I am more inclined to believe them over Boob and Michelle.  At the same time, I still think they all have an official story and they are well-rehearsed in what they say.  It's only natural, since they have been raised in the media spotlight.  I still don't think the public is hearing the whole truth, which is understandable.

I do feel sorry for Jessa, Jill, and the other girls, because this disclosure must have been very humiliating for them.  At the same time, I am not sure they understand why so many people are upset about this.  They don't seem to understand that when you become public figures, you pretty much lose your right to privacy.  It was not their choice to be public figures, but it is what it is.

I read an interesting article this morning from the Washington Post that outlined why it probably wasn't illegal that the police records were exposed.  The main reason given was that when the authorities were finally contacted about this, Josh was an adult, even though he was a child when he committed his crimes.  Another reason was that this case never went to court, which means the state codes protecting the information would not apply.  The Duggars don't seem to understand that.

Interesting, too, that I hear the sisters reiterate that their parents sent them to "licensed" counselors.   However, it has been widely reported that Josh, at least, went to a Christian program that was run by Bill Gothard, who had to step down due to his own sexual dalliances.  I haven't heard any description of the "counseling" the girls got, but I have doubts that it was long term or based on psychology.  My guess is that they too went to a fundie Christian based program.  If it worked for them and they are truly at peace, then good for them.  I'm not so sure mandatory counseling always works anyway, unless the participant is truly invested in it and wants to do the work involved with therapy.

But again, I was much less offended by what the Duggar sisters had to say.  I didn't hear as much blaming the media from them as I did their parents, though they do seem oblivious as to why people think they are from a family of hypocrites.  Over the past few years, they have been increasingly outspoken about their pro-Republican, religious rhetoric, speaking out about topics like homosexuality, transgendered people, and abortion and getting involved in politics.  No doubt they have rightfully upset and pissed off a lot of people.  It's likely that someone did have an agenda or a vendetta.  At the same time, this stuff did happen and it looks like they tried to cover it up.  People hate hypocrisy, even though most everyone is a hypocrite.

I know the Duggars are fans of freedom, right?  As long as it suits their agenda, anyway...  Well, when you make yourselves public figures, you have to deal with people trying to expose your sins.  That's part of public life.  If the Duggars don't know that by now, maybe it's time they learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.