Friday, May 1, 2015

Happy May Day!

Today is the first day of May, which means it's a holiday in Germany.  I have a feeling it's going to be an interesting weekend.  Yesterday, while sitting up in my office, I heard what sounded like a marching band.  I opened the window and looked outside.  I saw nothing, but I heard a band playing "Anchors Aweigh", which seemed very strange to me.  I wondered if maybe there was a guy in our neighborhood who is in the Navy.  It's certainly possible.

My German friend Susanne provided the answer.  Apparently, every year on April 30th, a local music club plays.  I wish I had known about this sooner.  I would have gone out to watch.  They were a pretty good band.  Here's a very short clip I got while they were playing.  I was in my nightie.



There's a lot I could write about today.  To my shame, I don't know a whole lot about what's going on in Baltimore.  I've seen the headlines and vaguely know about the rioting.  I saw the video of the mother slapping the hell out of her son for rioting.  But I haven't had a chance to sit down and really study what's going on.  I've been too busy reviewing our trip to Vienna.

I could share this very sad video about animal adoption...  In fact, I think I will.



Some might say a dog is not the same as a child... but I think the message comes across just fine.

Now I think I'll vacuum...  and maybe later, I'll have something to vent about.  I suppose I could vent about vacuuming, which is my least favorite household duty.  Maybe later, though.  

3 comments:

  1. i went to a naval academy graduation of a cousin. Most of my relatives are air Force, but one cousin went to Annapolis. it was a bit odd because in reciting the sailor's creed and all that other stuff, you could hear mostly female voices. once they started to sing, the male voices are what was heard. my aunt saYS IT WAS BECAUSE THE MEN ACTUALLY KNEW THE WORDS TO THE SONGS, WHERE THEY PROBABLY DID NOT KNOW THE MIDSHIMEN'S PLEDGE OR SAILOR'S DREED ALL THAT WELL.

    iN TERMS OF KNOWING WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE U.s>, YOU MAY BE JUST AS WELL NOT KNOWING EVERY LITTLE THING. It's pretty depressing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably right that I'm just as well off not reading about what's going on in the US. It's probably better to just listen to random brass bands outside my window.

      Delete
  2. Ignore the caps, please. My non-school compute caps lock key gets stuck at random times.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.