Friday, April 17, 2015

C-sections and shame...

I have never had a baby myself, so maybe I have no right to write about this topic.  Still, for the life of me, I don't understand the shame some women have in having a Cesarian section.  This topic comes up in the wake of Jill Dillard's recent birthing experience.  Apparently, that poor woman labored for 70 hours before she went to the hospital.  Then, she supposedly told her doctor to make sure he stitched her up really well so she could birth vaginally the next time.

I guess if your mom has had 19 kids and you are expected to perform similarly, maybe it is important not to get C-sections.  But good Lord, there is no shame in having a C-section.  She obviously tried hard to give birth the natural way.  It's a damn good thing C-sections are available, too.  Otherwise, she and her baby could have been in serious trouble.

To his credit, Derick Dillard is quoted as saying that there is no shame in a C-section.  Really, though, that's a statement that should go without saying.  Besides, whether a mother gives birth naturally or has a C-section is nobody's business.  I think a lot of people got a look at baby Israel's head, noticed it was very perfect looking, and figured out Jill had a C-section.  Who cares?  And I'm not just writing about Jill Dillard, either.

I understand on a basic level that many women want to give birth naturally because that's the way the body was designed to give birth.  I understand that sometimes giving birth that way isn't possible.  I just don't understand why someone would be ashamed about it.  I can understand disappointment...  I don't blame Jill for wanting to give birth at home instead of in a medical setting.  I'm sure she envisioned the way she wanted to bring her son into the world.  But shame?  Why would you even mention that?  I just don't get it.  

Of course, now there are rumors floating around that Jessa's pregnant, so we may soon be dealing with yet another arduous account of a pregnancy from the Duggar family soon.

Yesterday, I had lunch with some local ladies and a gentleman.  We had a good time.  The only thing that sucked about it was the traffic on the way home.  It was backed up pretty badly.

The furniture company still hasn't gotten in touch with me about this billing snafu.  I've decided I'm not going to worry about it.  If and when they want their money, they'll get in touch.

Bill will be home tomorrow.  I can hardly wait to see him.  And Zane woke me up at 3:30am because he needed to puke.  That's the worst sound... a retching dog in the wee hours of the morning, especially since Zane sounds like his insides are being plunged when he throws up.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.