Thursday, March 26, 2015

Tossed in the psych ward over Twitter and Obama?

This morning, I read an incredible story about 32 year old Kam Brock of New York City.  In September 2014, Ms. Brock was trying to get her car out of a New York City impound site.  Police had seized her car because they thought she was high on "weed".  She was upset when she went to retrieve the car and the police ended up arresting her.  They took her to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.

While she was being examined, Ms. Brock mentioned that she was followed on Twitter by President Barack Obama.  Evidently, the doctors weren't inclined to check if Ms. Brock was telling the truth.  They assumed she was delusional and suffering from bipolar disorder.  She was tossed into the psych ward for eight days and forced to take psychoactive drugs and attend therapy sessions.

She was later released from the hospital without comment, though she was given a bill for over $13,000.  Naturally, she's suing.  I can't say I blame her.  Hello... civil rights?  She does sound like perhaps she's a bit eccentric, but that doesn't make her "crazy".  I'm sure her ordeal was terrifying.  Moreover, Obama does follow Brock on Twitter, though she is one of 644,000 people he "follows".  I'm sure it's not really Obama following these folks, but a PR person.  

I don't have much else to write about today.  I could write more about the Germanwings crash, given that some shocking new news has been coming out today, but I think I'd rather wait until there's less speculation as to what happened.  Apparently, it looks like the co-pilot may have been suicidal and homicidal... but at this point, no one knows for sure.

I just keep thinking about how terrifying those last eight minutes must have been for the people on that flight.  My heart breaks for them.

Took Zane to the vet today.  He is now on the second phase of his allergy treatments.  Now instead of taking him to the vet every Thursday, he goes every other Thursday.  That makes me happy.

I gave the German landlords pecans from Whitley's, a company in Hayes, Virginia very close to where I grew up.  I usually buy peanuts and cashews from them, but my landlady and I were talking about pecans and how her daughter brought some to Germany from England.  So I decided to pick some up for them.  I've never given gifts to my landlords before, but then our landlords have given us gifts!

I'm still trying to work up the nerve to get my tooth yanked.  It's going to need to be soon, I think.


8 comments:

  1. I can't remember if I'm followed by Barack Obama or not, and I don't feel like going down the list of followers, but I know now not to bring it up if i'm ever given a psych evaluation. the lady probably is eccentric, but it doesn't sound as though she did anything to warrant the treatment she received. additionallly, insuraance rates have driven medical costs sky-high. what could the psych ward possibly have done in eight days that should really cost in excess of 13 grand? It's not as though she had surgery or even unlikely that she had multiple MRIs. She could have checked into a 4-star hotel and ordered filet mignon or lobster for every meal and it would have cost a fraction of what the psych ward is charging her. She shouldn't have to pay that bill.

    good luck with your tooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... Although I wasn't there when the lady was initially interviewed, I think the hospital was negligent. She has every right to sue.

      Thanks for the good luck wishes. I dread it so much, but I'd like to get this over with. I'm tired of dental dramas.

      Delete
    2. My cousin was feeling suicidal a couple times and did a couple of stints in a psych ward near here. She says that on her initial intake interview, one of the questions was "Do you become angry when others fail to recognize you as a deity?". she said even in her state of depression, she laughed at that question. The RN doing the intake apologized and said, "Sorry. I know it sounds stupid, but we have to go down the complete list of questions."

      Delete
    3. I'm sure the fact that your cousin laughed was a positive in that instance. I have never been in a psych ward, but there were times during the early days of my depression treatment that I worried I could end up in one.

      Delete
  2. i'm haunted by the Germanwings crash, too, though I don't spend 1/10 of the time that you do o planes. I can't imagine a much more horrific end to one's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's always a risk in everything you do. Still, that crash is going to have so many ripple effects. 150 people died. Their families are now mourning. Those who had jobs won't be going back to work. There may be people left in the lurch because they suddenly lost a wife or a husband or a child... And it's going to affect society and the aviation industry, too.

      It's just an unspeakable tragedy.

      Delete
  3. My dad sometimes says as he prepares to leave for a flight that he has a much better chance of being killed in an auto accident on the way to or from the airport than in a plane crash. Yet we all routinely drive almost every day.

    Just the sheer horror of those final eight minutes, or at least the last five or so when the passengers really knew what was going on, must have been most excruciating. unless one offs himself or herself, none of us gets to choose his or her manner of death, but that is certainly not the way I hope it all ends when my time comes. I hate to think of the terror they felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes... and there is evidence that they knew they were going to die. They must have been absolutely terrified. And it was such a routine flight. I could have been on that flight, though I've never actually been to Dusseldorf.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.