Sunday, March 1, 2015

It's Sunday... time for religion! Making a joyful noise!

Here in Germany, Sundays are sacrosanct.  Nothing is open, save for some restaurants.  People are expected to be quiet.  Yard work is technically not allowed on Sunday, even if it's quiet yard work.  People who break the rules on Sunday are liable to get a tongue lashing from a neighbor or worse, a visit from the polizei.

I'm sitting here in my nightgown, thinking about Candy Christmas, a singer who used to be called Candy Hemphill when she was part of her family's musical act.  I discovered her the other day while farting around on YouTube.  I had never heard of her before, but it turns out she's a fairly popular Christian singer and motivational speaker.

I'm no fan of contemporary Christian music, though I do recognize musical talent when I hear it.  A lot of ex Mormons like to make fun of the Osmonds, for example.  They point to their rendition of "Crazy Horses" and the funky chicken dancing they did with it as evidence that they don't have talent.  But listen to them sing and harmonize.  It's not easy for most people to do what they do, yet they are able to do it seemingly effortlessly.  I don't like Mormonism or evangelical Christianity, but I do recognize that religion does provide a way for natural musicians to make a living.  My mom made a very nice side income for over 50 years playing the organ in churches.


The Osmonds rocking out to "Crazy Horses"...


"Love Me For A Reason" sung at their 50th anniversary concert...

The Osmonds are but just one group of religious folks who have used their faith to propel them into a decent livelihood.  If you think about it, religion provides a very convenient platform for people who like to perform.  A group gathers every week for worship, providing the perfect opportunity for a person to show off their talents.


Here's Candy Christmas (nee Hemphill) performing religious music for an appreciative crowd.


And then there are the performers who probably couldn't perform for anyone but a church crowd...


I laugh every time I hear this man sing...  it's not his voice that cracks me up; it's his hair.  And, of course, the songs are kind of ridiculous, too...


This video is hilarious.  I love watching Roger McDuff wait for the music to start before he starts dancing.  Again... lyrics are ridiculous.  Jesus is coming to get us on a snow white cloud, don'tcha know?


D. James Kennedy was not a singer, but he was a performer.  My dad used to enjoy his Sunday show...  Very conservative Christian...  it's amazing how liberal his daughters turned out to be.


Jerry Falwell gets screamed at by an irate congregant until he's overpowered by a saucy singer in a double breasted suit.


Would Holly Starr make it as a secular singer?  I dunno...


I get a big kick out of the choir on Ernest Angley, especially the guys in the back row, who seem way too into it.

Actually, I went through a long phase of watching Ernest Angley's show just to see the musicians.  I notice they use a lot of original music, probably to avoid paying royalties or worrying about copyright.  I notice their music is very cornball.  Some of the musicians on that show are very competent, while some aren't all that good.  Music is a big part of Ernest's show, though.  No doubt, it's a big part of what gets people coming and reaching into the wallets for tithes and offerings.


Here Candy Hemphill Christmas talks about how she overcame depression by feeding the homeless...


And her as a much younger woman singing...

When I was growing up, I used to watch a locally produced religious show called Rock Church Proclaims.  It was a service by Bishop John and Anne Gimenez (John has since died).  I watched it because of the crazy musical performances.  Check this out...


This looks like it was actually taped off the show that used to air on Channel 27, WYAH (since renamed WGNT and made national).


I might actually go to church for this...

It's true...  I may not be very religious, but I do find religious programming fascinating.  Wish I had access to TBN right now.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.