Monday, February 23, 2015

Melanie Griffith earns new respect from yours truly...



Just caught this interview on Yahoo!

I can't say I was ever a big fan of Melanie Griffith's.  I look at her face and think she's spent way too much time with a plastic surgeon.  Despite that, however, I have newfound respect for her after watching her interact with her daughter, Dakota Johnson, at the Oscars.  Johnson, as you probably know, stars in 50 Shades of Grey, a film based on the popular trilogy of books about BDSM.


In this interview, Melanie is very proud of Dakota, but states she won't be seeing her in her movie...

I will admit that I haven't read the books or seen the movie.  I find BDSM interesting, but I heard that the writing of 50 Shades of Grey was horrible; plus, it started out as fan fiction for the Twilight series, which truly does not interest me.  People I know and trust have advised me to avoid the books, too.  Even my dentist in Texas said it sucked, even though it's making scads of money.  

But even if the books and the movies were truly excellent and inspirational, I can't blame Melanie Griffith for not wanting to see her daughter on the silver screen, being portrayed in a BDSM relationship.  I think it would be very disturbing for a loving mom to watch that.  Maybe it wouldn't be disturbing to a mother who is herself into BDSM-- but even that seems like it would be really weird.  I can't imagine being someone's parent and seeing my child act out BDSM-- especially when many people seem to think the brand of BDSM that is being portrayed in that film is more like domestic abuse than a kinky relationship involving people exchanging power.


Here's Melanie being interviewed by Mario Lopez (aka AC Slater)...

I think Melanie Griffith's reaction to her daughter's film is perfectly natural and very respectable.  It sounds to me like she's proud of her girl, but doesn't want to see her girl in a role that makes her feel uncomfortable as a mother.  Melanie explains that it would be too "awkward" to see Dakota being tied up and spanked on the silver screen.  Good for her for keeping it real!


2 comments:

  1. i agree. Melanie Griffith has led an interesting life. i seem to recall that her mother, Tippy Hedren, kept large cats as a part of a rescue mission and actually housed some in their home. Melanie was once mauled by a tiger ir some other large cat while she slept, I think. My parents may have been a bit on the odd side, but at least I could sleep without the feqar of being attacked by a tiger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that's what happened to her face.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.