Saturday, February 28, 2015

Lovely parting gifts...


$25,000 Pyramid parting gifts...

As you can see from the video above, on game shows, even the losers go home with "lovely parting gifts".  On this particular show, they were going home with denture cream and gift certificates for KFC, but still it's something, right?  Well, that's kind of how it is for a lot of young people.  They "win" just by showing up.  They're "special" just for being themselves.  They have to be included in everything, including wedding vows if they've been born before the nuptials.  Everyone's a "winner", right?

I guess the purpose of "parting gifts" is supposed to make the loser feel better.  Or, at least that's what the losers are supposed to think.  Personally, I think "parting gifts" are just another subtle form of advertisement for big businesses.  But hell, who couldn't use a year's supply of Turtle Wax or Denorex?  Aw, who are we kidding?  Lovely parting gifts are often nothing but worthless crap and the winners usually have to pay sales tax on them to boot!  


Parting gifts on Super Password...  Was Betty White on every game show ever made in the 80s?


But to get those parting gifts, you have to hear this if you're on The Price Is Right.

Bill and I were talking about parting gifts last night.  I think Bill and I got on this topic because we were talking about this trend of adults making very public statements of devotion to children.  A couple of days ago, I posted about NASCAR driver Brian Scott pledging his love and dedication to his wife Whitney's daughter, Brielle.  For some reason, that post has been very popular, not in terms of comments, but in terms of massive hits.  Seems like a lot of people are curious about the circumstances surrounding Mr. Scott's very public statement of devotion  for Brielle.  

Of course, in the video, Brielle seems rather detached from the whole spectacle.  In January 2014, she was still very tiny.  Because she was pretty much oblivious to what was being said to her, my guess is that Mr. Scott's declaration of love and devotion was more for himself and his wife than it was for the child.   Perhaps years from now, if Mr. Scott is still married to Brielle's mother, she can watch the video, see how everyone's weeping over her stepfather's speech, and maybe feel warm and fuzzy about him.  She may even view him as her dad.  

If Brielle's mother is not still married to Mr. Scott, it's likely that video will upset her-- unless, of course, he's still in her life.  I know that sometimes even after a divorce, stepparents can stay involved with former stepchildren.  I certainly have no way of looking into the future and knowing how Whitney and Brian will fare.  I truly hope their marriage succeeds.  But there are no guarantees for anyone, not even Bill and me.  If the marriage fails, I wonder what the lovely parting gifts will be for the children involved.

I got kind of curious about Sean Caisse.  I don't follow NASCAR at all, even though I once lived in car racing heaven.  I only found out a couple of things.  Apparently, his father died in 2012.  In the obituary, Brielle is listed as a survivor, which makes me think that at least in 2012, Sean Caisse was in his daughter's life.  Another curious tidbit I found is that Caisse appears to have been arrested in late 2014.  It looks like the charges were somewhat serious, too.  I have no way of knowing if this means he's not into being a father.  But then, if you're a parent who ends up in the slammer, that does make it hard to be there for your kids, whether you want to be or not.  

In any case, let me reiterate that I do think it's nice that Brielle was included in the wedding ceremony.  And if Brian Scott truly loves her as if she is his own child, then I certainly approve of that.  I just question whether or not it's wise to make very public pledges the way Brian Scott did at his wedding.  Sometimes that kind of thing can backfire.  A successful marriage is not the same thing as a very moving wedding ceremony.  Marriage is a long, hard road for most people.  Kids can definitely complicate matters.  Kids from other people can complicate matters even more.  I hope they're ready for the journey ahead and no one walks away with nothing but "lovely parting gifts".       

  

2 comments:

  1. your final paragraph pretty much sums it up. i've played for almost two hundred weddings since i was 12. to the best of my ability, i've kept track of the continuing marital status of each. it's impossible for me to know in every case, but of the ones i've been able to track, overall, the success rate is just under 60%. Those for whom it was a 2nd marriage (or more) for both, the rate is well below 40% success. it's a crap shoot.,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. In 2000, I performed at a wedding. It was the bride's first. Fifteen years later, she's had two more grooms. She is now in school learning how to be a Christian counselor. I think she's a very nice person and I suspect her experience with failed marriages might be helpful to her future clients. On the other hand, it does seem crazy that she's been married to three different men. Fortunately, there haven't been any children in the mix.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.