Monday, January 26, 2015

God has dandruff...

It's snowing again.  I've been out to shovel the walk twice since I got up less than two hours ago.  It's really coming down pretty hard.  I like snow and this is a nice change from what our last few winters have been like.  At the same time, I kind of miss the sun.  We haven't seen much of it lately.  I see how cold and snowy it is outside and am grateful I have a warm home to go to.  Not everyone is so lucky.

Tomorrow, Bill and I are going to the dentist for cleanings.  I suspect more will need to be done for me, since I still have that area of my gum that is bothering me.  I look forward to having clean teeth, but dread the process of cleaning and the exam.  I fear more dental work could be needed.

I've been reading more articles about World War II, since tomorrow is the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz.  It still amazes me that I know people who were alive during that time.  It seems like a long time ago, but it really wasn't.  My mom was a child when World War II ended and she's still alive and kicking.

Of course, if it weren't for World War II, I doubt Bill and I would be living in Germany.  War is a terrible thing, but as I have often observed, good things can come out of any situation.  A lot of people died in war, but a lot of people were also born.  Still, reading about the ordeals that Holocaust survivors endured is horrifying.  I am happy they survived, yet I know that they must have been tortured by their memories.  Many of them probably experienced survivor's guilt, too.  I am happy to get the opportunity to live in Germany.  I think it's a good thing.  But when it comes down to it, I'm here because a lot of people died in a war.  The United States set up bases here decades ago and has historically sent many Americans here for work in Europe.  Now the efforts are dwindling somewhat, but I can't deny that I've gotten a lot out of being here and getting to know this culture.

My Uncle Carl's funeral was yesterday.  I'm not sure how many family members were able to attend.  I would have liked to have been there and would have gone if we still lived in the southeastern United States.  My thoughts were with Carl's immediate family yesterday as they laid him to rest.  He was a really fine man.

I wish I had more to write this morning, but I've got nothing really serious on my mind.  Maybe I'll be back later with a rant.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.