Saturday, January 31, 2015

Bastards...

I'm in a bit of a mood and today's post will probably be disgusting and profane.  If you are sensitive about body humor or cussing, you'd best move on...  I truly aim not to offend.

Yesterday was not such a good day for me.  About an hour after I woke up, I got a cold sore.  I vented about it on a Facebook page called "Stuttgart Vents".  This is what I posted.

Here's a fucking vent. A pox on whatever or whomever caused me to have a cold sore today. It's bad enough when I go on the rag over the weekend; now I have to deal with a damn herpes sore on my mouth. Will have to kill it with booze.

I was cheered up a little when a few other people joined in on the fun.  The actual discussion regarding cold sores was minimal.  Soon we were posting pictures of cocktails and I was bragging on Bill.  Then I was confronted by a bastard.  This guy wrote...

Nothing like a good period and herpes story to really get the weekend going. Gross.

I responded...

Oh, grow up. I'm not on the rag right now; I just have a cold sore, which I didn't even photograph. Besides, if it weren't for periods, you wouldn't exist. At least I didn't include any photos of feminine hygiene products. Get over yourself and be glad you aren't female.

He comes back with...

I'm grown, thanks. Here I was, thinking that I came about from sexual intercourse that led to cell division, but nope, it was just a plain old period. Thanks for enlightening me. Maybe there are some things we can keep to ourselves..like our various herpes infections and details on our menstrual cycles? That would be nice. (so sad that two women like this comment... they probably don't have a fucking clue about how condescending this dude is...)

To which I said...

The group is called Stuttgart Vents, isn't it? How am I supposed to know what's going to gross *you* out? I get grossed out by pictures of naked genitalia but you don't see me bitching about it. I either hide the offending post or block the person who annoys me. You could do the same.

And he said...

It's called Stuttgart Vents, not Stuttgart Overshares.

So my response was...

Right, but who made YOU the sole decision maker as to what is considered oversharing? I don't know you from Adam, so how could I possibly know that posting about a common cold sore and a monthly process all healthy women go through was going to offend you? I promise I did not wake up yesterday with the idea of upsetting you with my post. I was just venting. Besides, this post was only obliquely skimming on oversharing territory and, in fact, had moved on from the original topic before you chimed in with your concerns about Internet etiquette. We were posting about cocktails and I was praising my husband for making one before you had to go there with your squeamishness. I sincerely apologize that you were "grossed out" by my post. I will try to be more considerate of *your feelings* in the future.



Maybe this cold sore has put the proverbial bee in my bonnet.  Because on the same page, there is a post about someone wanting to rent a wheelchair for a "two day period".  Naturally, the person just wanted a wheelchair for two days, but other people-- *not me*-- immediately moved on to the topic of menstruation.  I wrote this...

I'll refrain from saying anything. Wouldn't want to remind people that women have periods. It's too "gross".

Another guy wrote...

Don't you mean groß?

And I responded...

LOL... If it only lasts two days, it probably is pretty groß.

Maybe today, I'll go out of my way to post about nasty body processes like shitting, pissing, and passing blood and the lining of my uterus through a hole between my legs every 30 days just to gross out the guy whose crotch obviously hurts.  I'd say his pussy hurts, but that would be giving him way too much credit.  Everybody knows vaginas are actually pretty tough. 


"Some people don't want you to say this... Some people don't want you to say that..."

George says it best.  

Men who get offended by the mere topic of menstruation always strike me as being more than a little misogynistic.  That guy's tone toward me was way more offensive than my oblique reference to cold sores and periods.  I bet he's the type of guy who just sees women as a life support system for a vagina and doesn't want to think about the icky, real, human things that all women face.  And imagine me, expecting a grown man to take responsibility for his experiences on the Internet.  The truth is, you're not always going to like what someone else posts online.  There are things you can do to minimize their effect on you before you ask them to try to guess what's going to offend you and consider your feelings-- and yours alone-- before they make a posting.    


Caroline Williams tells the truth about periods...


Right after I encountered this Facebook confrontation, I read about Amy Duggar, nee Amy Jordan, who just confessed that she was born out of wedlock.  In the old days, they would have called her a bastard child.  To those who are shocked that a member of the Duggar family was born out of wedlock, she says...

"The tabloids are telling the truth, my mom and dad did have me out of wedlock. Just because we are Christians doesn't make us perfect, it just makes us forgiven...

Just because I share the Duggar name doesn't mean my life is perfect!"
  
Mmmkay, well Amy, I would never in my lifetime ever suggest that being a Duggar makes you perfect.  As I am reminded on a daily basis thanks to constant postings about them on the Internet, Duggars are far from perfect people.  And Amy, if I understand it, you went by the name Jordan until your uncle became famous and you decided to wanted to be a country singer.  Isn't that sort of lying about who you are?  Why would you arbitrarily change your perfectly good last name of Jordan to Duggar if it wasn't about show biz?  Wonder what Jesus thinks of that shit?  Oh right.  You are forgiven because you are a "Christian".  Alright then.

The truth is, I don't give a rat's ass whether or not Amy Jordan Duggar's parents were married when she was born.  I certainly wouldn't judge Amy for being what used to be referred to as a "bastard" child.  It's not like she could have helped it.  I honestly don't see why this is news, other than the fact that the Duggars are so outspoken about the "right" way to live and don't even hug before they marry.  Indeed, were the Duggars seemingly less inclined to get involved with politics and trying to change the way other people live their lives, they would be just an amusing blip on the radar.  

Anyhoo... it's time for breakfast.  I'm feeling a bit pissed off right now.  Bacon and eggs will cure that.

ETA:  The bastard came back for more...

A different guy wrote...

and right below this on my screen is the admins 2-day period post...guess we know where the boundaries are, right? you go girl!

Bastard's response...

One thing was a joke, the other was not. I am not grossed out by periods, but I really don't want to open this page to 300 posts by one woman, most of which are about her personal medical issues and her problems with her periods. Its not my feelings that are at stake, its a simple matter of nobody wants to read that shit.

I come here for amusing stories about the community we live in, or other related issues, not to read your personal blog.

And my response...

Once again, you are speaking for people other than YOURSELF. My guess is that some people "don't want to read that shit", some people couldn't care less, and some can commiserate. Take some responsibility for your Internet experiences and stop trying to tell other people what they can and can't post.

And another woman's response to Bastard...


Dear sweet Jesus, Bastard, I think you might be better on SF not SV. On SV people say real things that may hurt your baby soft duckling sweet fucking sensibilities.


My final comment...

You have the option of blocking people whose postings upset or annoy you. I certainly won't be offended if you choose to avail yourself of that handy Facebook tool.

If he's smart, he'll fuck off.  So glad I don't have better things to do on a Saturday.

ETA again...  He came back with a profane rant.  I didn't take the time to read it.  Instead, I wrote "You know what?  I am done arguing with you."  Then I blocked him.  Should have done that hours ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.