Tuesday, November 4, 2014

How about a hygienic affair?

A couple of days ago, I was talking to Bill about our upcoming trip to the USA.  I'm not really looking forward to it that much.  In fact, as much as I will enjoy seeing some of my relatives, I also look forward to this trip being over and done with.  I hate transcontinental travel, especially when there's a chance that I won't enjoy myself.

Anyway, I do sort of look forward to some of the funnier things that can happen when I'm around my family.  I have a sister who mostly upsets me when I'm around her, but she does have a knack for clever quips.  I remember one Christmas, we were all staying at one of my sisters' houses.  I had given my dad a sweater that he really liked and he wore it all the time.

My sister said, "Dad, you've been wearing that sweater for days now.  Don't you think you should change?"

My dad responded, "I really like this sweater and it's just easier to wear it since it's already out of my suitcase.  If I have a high fashion affair to attend, I'll change."

And my sister snarked, "How about a hygienic affair?"

I have to admit, that was a pretty funny comment.  My dad good-naturedly smacked her on the head with a rolled up newspaper, which I also thought was funny and well-deserved.

Bill and I were actually talking about this situation because I got into it with someone in the Stuttgart community the other day.  If you read my travel blog, you can get the whole story.  I probably got a lot more annoyed than I should have.  Sometimes I take things too personally.  But to make a long story short, what happened is that some know-it-all busybody told me that I should get anti bark collars for my dogs because I mentioned that we have a neighbor who has made passive aggressive comments about them.

My dogs don't actually bark that much, but when they do bark, they are loud.  That's how hounds are. That being said, I don't want to use a device on them that punishes them for communicating when they don't actually communicate excessively.  We just happen to have a crank in the neighborhood.

The lady kept harping on the anti bark collars, though, even though the kind that deliver a shock are illegal in Germany.  She even suggested that I use one of the illegal type collars just so I can make my neighbor happy.  So I wrote, "What a wonderful world it would be if some people would wear bark collars."

;-D

Snarky humor.  That was one gift I know I got from my dad.

I'm a little worried about my damn teeth again.  Last night, I had an area of my gums that was kind of sore and swollen.  I flossed; it bled; and then it was sore enough that eating was painful.  Fortunately, it seems better today.  I took some OTC painkillers and drank some rum.  While the gum is still a little swollen, the pain is about 95% reduced.  Need to find a new dentist, though, because I'm due for a cleaning and I want to have that area looked at.  It happens to be right next to one of my baby teeth and I want to hang onto that sucker for as long as possible.

2 comments:

  1. the rum is really what probably helped your gums the most.

    Is dental care in germany similar to what it is in the U.S.?

    It's unfortunatwe that you have to rush back to the U.S. so soon, although i understsnd that your mom probably needs you to come.

    Does the Lt. Col. Ret. continue to receive flight benefits in retirement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this will be my first actual visit to a German dentist. Last time we were here, I went to the one on post. Can't do that now, though. I understand German dentistry is much like American dentistry, but I could be wrong. I'll find out soon.

      As for the trip back to the States, it is for my dad's memorial. If I'm not there, I'll look like a bigger asshole than I actually am.

      We can still use Space A travel, but we would be at a much lower category now, which means our chances of getting flights would be lower. During the holiday season, it's not the best idea to try to fly Space A.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.