Friday, October 17, 2014

There is nothing like being invited to a holiday event by a group you're supposedly a part of...

This afternoon, I got an email from "the grandchildren".  It was from two cousins and a cousin once removed.  They are in charge of our big Thanksgiving celebration this year.  I imagine it's for a number of reasons.  The ones who used to throw these shindigs are getting older and some are no longer in the best of health.  So the torch has been passed to these cousins.  I notice the main party planners have also started an actual party planning business of their own, so it's so much the better that these particular cousins host this thing...  except they may need a little refresher course in not alienating people by being thoughtless.

Now see, they sent me an invitation from "the grandchildren".  But I am also one of the grandchildren.  In fact, I am one of the original crop of 22 grandchildren.  Granted, it's been four years since my last visit.  That's partly because of our perpetual status of residential flux and partly because the older I get, the less I like certain family members.  In fact, I have some outright animosity toward a few of them.  Yes, I know it's juvenile and stupid and I should just let bygones be bygones, but a lot of my issues and pain stem from my family of origin.  And the older I get, the more I realize that, and the more I see some of them as insincere jerks.  I also understand that not all of them like me either, though because they are mostly Christians, they feel the need to include me... even during the year we memorialize my father.

So when I got that email from "the grandchildren", it kind of pissed me off.  I was tempted to shoot back a snarky response, but thought better of it.  I'm not really looking for drama.  On the other hand, if this is the way things are starting off, maybe it would be better for Bill and me to have dinner at a restaurant and then show up for the memorial.  Then maybe we should go back to DC and shop at Potomac Wines.

I sense that any toasting that goes on at our family gathering might go like this...  at least if I end up doing it, which I won't, because no one cares about what I have to say.



Actually, I plan to take it easy on the booze this year.  I really just want to put in my obligatory appearance and get the hell out of there, hopefully unscathed.

I realize that certain family members may actually see this blog post.  If they do and are offended, I don't really care.  I've about had it with this shit.  I feel a little like Groucho Marx...  I refuse to join any group that would have me as a member.

  

2 comments:

  1. I'm an outcaste grandchild as well. i can relate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's better or worse when it's obvious.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.