Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pregnancy scare...

Last night, Bill and I were trying in vain to find a place to have dinner.  It seemed like a lot of the restaurants in Colmar were fully reserved.  We finally found a place that was completely empty at about 7:00.  We went in and sat down.  We ordered sparkling water and wine while we perused the menu.

Not being a fan of foie gras (which is everywhere in this town) or veal or sauerkraut, I found myself somewhat limited in what I could order.  I ended up getting a steak with mustard sauce.  The man and woman serving us spoke little English; the man's language skills were slightly better than hers were and hers were pretty much non-existent.

Anyway, as I was about to take a sip of wine, they came out and started trying to ask me something.  They both sounded a little anguished until the man finally pantomimed pregnancy and said the word "baby".  Bill said I gave them a look of disgust as I said, "No, I am not pregnant."

I'm not sure if they were worried about the wine or the rare meat I ended up having for dinner.  And though it was an embarrassing spectacle, fortunately no one else had entered the place at that point.  I also realized that at least I still look young enough to conceive.  They meant well and obviously weren't trying to be rude.  Still, I guess my beer gut is growing.

By the time we left the restaurant, it was totally full.  And then, when we got back to our hotel, the parking lot was full of people at their restaurant.  At least Colmar is cute, though.


The restaurant where I had my "pregnancy scare"...

  

4 comments:

  1. My German classmate said they were probably more worried about the rare meat because they worry less about a couple of glasses of wine in pregnancy over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, from what I could tell, it was the beef that had them worried. Still, it put a damper on dinner.

      Delete
    2. Great P.R. move on their part.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.