Friday, October 3, 2014

Go Rest High On That Mountain...

As I mentioned before, I have been making a playlist of songs for my mom.  She asked me to record myself singing hymns for her.  I've been doing that, but I've also included some contemporary songs that are kind of spiritual and introspective.  I like religious music, even though I'm really not very religious.  You could say I have a spiritual side...  and it came out yesterday as I was recording a song made famous by Vince Gill.  The song is called "Go Rest High On That Mountain".  It has been recorded by a lot of people, but I think Vince Gill's version is the best known.

Believe it or not, I discovered this song on SingSnap.com.  Months before my dad died, I saw "Go Rest High On That Mountain" on the song list.  I was curious about it so I listened to it and noted the lyrics.  I liked the melody and found that if I deviated the pitch a bit, I could make a nice female version of it.  I did, and then forgot about it.

Then yesterday, I remembered that song and its lyrics...

I know your life
On earth was troubled
And only you could know the pain
You weren't afraid to face the devil
You were no stranger to the rain

Go rest high on that mountain
‘Cause, Son, your work on earth is done
Go to Heaven a shoutin'
Love for the Father and the Son

Oh, how we cried the day you left us
And gathered round your grave to grieve
Wish I could see the angels’ faces
When they hear your sweet voice sing

Go rest high on that mountain
‘Cause, Son, your work on earth is done
Go to Heaven a shoutin'
Love for the Father and the Son

Instrumental

Go rest high on that mountain
‘Cause, Son, your work on earth is done
Go to Heaven a shoutin'
Love for the Father and the Son

Tag: Go to Heaven a shoutin'
Love for the Father and the Son

As I was trying to record this song, I soon found myself weepy.  The words rang very true to me and I was moved as I sang it, especially considering who my dad was.  He was a man born and raised in Virginia's mountains.  He was troubled and faced a lot of trials in his life.  My dad had many demons that he fought for years.

My dad was also a singer and he loved music.  I can picture him singing with angels.  I did cry when I heard he died, though he doesn't have a grave.  After he is memorialized, I believe my mom plans to scatter his ashes in his beloved Natural Bridge, Virginia.  You could say the whole area will be his final resting place.

I was pretty happy with how my recording turned out, though Garage Band and iMovie have their limitations.  I feel like I sound like I'm singing in a metal box when I record with Garage Band.  This is the video I made...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.