Friday, October 17, 2014

Ebola has everyone in a tizzy...

My husband now works for Africa Command, aka AFRICOM.  He says that Ebola is the number one topic at his job.  Here in Germany, a number of people are being treated for the deadly virus, though none that I know of are in the Stuttgart area.  And of course, back in Texas, Ebola is all over the news since Eric Thomas Duncan, a Liberian who showed up at a Dallas hospital infected with it, was hospitalized and later died.  Two nurses who cared for him have now tested positive with the virus and have been moved to hospitals in the United States better equipped to deal with them.

Seems like every generation has its disease du jour.  In the 80s, it was AIDS.  People were terrified of it.  I remember having to watch films about it in school, all about how it's transmitted and risky behaviors associated with contracting it.  There were some excellent movies of the week made about the AIDS epidemic.  Molly Ringwald even starred in one.

In the early 2000s, people were worried about anthrax, thanks to the efforts of certain bioterrorists.

Before AIDS, there was polio and tuberculosis and the plague...  Now we have Ebola, along with Marburg, deadly viruses that are killing many people in Africa.  Now the disease is spreading abroad and people in the United States are all up in arms about it.  You don't hear so much about AIDS anymore.


I thought this was a pretty funny graphic...

While I understand why people are afraid of Ebola, I think in the grand scheme of things, we have much bigger fish to fry.  The chances of getting Ebola are fairly slim, especially if you take precautions.  Still, I would probably be a little freaked out if I were on a plane with someone with Ebola...

 

These people on a U.S. Airways flight certainly were freaking...

Given that we have to fly to the United States next month, I'm wondering what kind of nightmare effect the Ebola virus is going to have on travel in the coming weeks.  Hopefully, it won't suck as much as it might.  Truth be told, I wish we could just stay in Germany.  Nevertheless, I'm sure I will have a lot to write about when we go back to the States.  Hopefully, I won't get so annoyed that I end up in trouble with the authorities.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.