Monday, October 27, 2014

Blast from the past...

A guy I met as I was leaving Peace Corps service seventeen years ago is now working for the government.  Last week, he contacted me on Facebook to ask where in Germany Bill and I live.  I told him and it turned out that he and Bill are both going to a conference this week.

Aside from marveling that my past professional life is now mingling with Bill's present professional life, I was just amazed at yet another opportunity to see an old friend.  I actually didn't get to know Erik really well, because as I was leaving Armenia, he was just getting there.  But while he was in training, we did hang out a bit.  He said he thought I was funny!

We met for lunch yesterday and talked for a couple of hours.  Hopefully, we'll get to hang out again as the week progresses.

I don't know what it is about me, but I have an uncanny knack for running into people I used to know or people who know someone I know.  It's very strange, because it's not like I was ever a very popular person.  But it's happened to me more times than I can count... I'll see someone I haven't seen in years in some random place or I'll bump into someone and we'll start talking and realize we have a mutual friend or something.

This visit with Erik was planned, since we knew he was coming to Germany.  It was still a lot of fun. I love catching up on gossip.

In other news, the other day, Bill thought he heard one of the neighbors tell him in German to take our dogs with him while he was running errands.  I wouldn't be surprised.  There's a guy who lives near us who thinks we leave them alone all the time.  We don't.  I'm with them about 90% of the time.  They do bark, but their barking isn't excessive.  They bark if they see an animal or people they don't know, or if someone rings the doorbell.  They sometimes bark when they play.  That's about it.  Their sessions seldom last longer than a minute or two, unless we're out in the woods and they're on a scent.

The neighbor guy can kiss my ass.

Perhaps I should leave one of these on his lawn.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.