Wednesday, September 24, 2014

My mom is doing fine... and soaps

I finally got ahold of her the other day.  She had been taking a nap.  Apparently, since she had her breast surgery, she's needed a lot more sleep.  She falls asleep whenever she sits down.  But she's doing fine.

In fact, my mom told me that her surgery was last Monday at 7:30am and by 12:30pm, she was at home, watching The Young and the Restless.  That was a ritual she shared with my dad for years.  They were both hooked on that soap from the time I was a teenager.

I, on the other hand, only watched Guiding Light.  I started watching it when I was about 12 (1984) and kept watching on and off until right before we moved to Germany in 2007.  By the time I stopped watching, it had really gone downhill.  I mean, the show was always full of improbable and ridiculous plots, but by the time I quit watching it on a regular basis, it had really gotten stupid.

I got back to the States just in time to see the very last episode, which aired on September 18, 2009.  It had been on the air in one way or another since 1937 and is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest running televised drama in history.  It was broadcast on TV starting in 1952.

We left Germany on September 15, 2009.  We were actually supposed to leave on the 14th, which would have given us just under two years there, but a plane happened to land with faulty landing gear.  It messed up the runway, so our flight was cancelled.

I thought I would be sad when Guiding Light ended, but I really wasn't.  The show's budget had been sliced to smithereens and it had become unwatchable.  They'd tried all kinds of weird camera gimmicks and story lines, none of which were all that appealing.  Plus, I think I had just outgrown the show.  It no longer interested me.  The characters annoyed me almost as much as the ones on 7th Heaven did.

I still remember a lot of great scenes from over the years, though... and a lot of great actors and actresses got their start on Guiding Light.  It will always be a nostalgic part of my life.


Among all of my GL memories, this one stands out the most.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.