Saturday, September 27, 2014

I love it when people read my WHOLE blog in one sitting...

I have never made it a secret that I pay attention to who visits my blog.  That's mostly because I'm curious about who reads my drivel, which is often entirely too personal.  It's also because there are certain people out there who probably should read what I have to say, but I know if they do, it will cause hard feelings.  I figure if I know they're reading, I can be prepared for the eventual fallout.

For example, I know my brother-in-law has read this blog and showed it to my sister.  I know that my sister was shocked by the personal nature of some of my writings.  She told another sister who then told me.  I have to say, I was kind of surprised they were interested, although I guess I am not surprised my sister's husband was.  I think he enjoys drama and gossip.  To my sister's credit, she realizes that I am a writer and writers write about their lives.  It's hard to be interesting if you're not willing to get personal and sometimes overshare.  To my brother-in-law, I can only say "Thanks for the hit."  Every time you read my blog, I make ad revenue.    

Then there are people like my husband's ex wife and former kids.  There was a time when I didn't really want them to read my rants, so I tried to stay somewhat anonymous.  Now that my husband's kids are adults, I no longer care if they read what I write about them.  I think they ought to know the truth.  I think they should see a perspective that doesn't come from their mother's side.  I think they should know that they really aren't victims, especially now that they are grown.  I might have seen them as innocent victims when they were kids and had no control over their lives, but they are all adults now and they are wholly responsible for acting like shitheads.  I can concede that they were trained to be shitheads by their mother, but that doesn't change the fact that that's what they've become and they don't seem motivated to change.  It's a damn shame.

Every once in awhile, I get a visitor who, for some strange reason, gets interested in this blog and reads the whole damn thing from start to finish.  Whenever I see that, I have to wonder why.  I started this blog in 2010.  I didn't write that much back then because no one was reading, so I wasn't motivated to write every day.  I also didn't have that much to say.  As time went on, I decided to write more and I started picking up the occasional regular reader.

Now this blog pulls in hits every day-- not a whole lot of hits, but enough that I know there won't be any posts that get absolutely no reads.  My other blogs do have occasional hitless posts in them, though my travel blog is picking up a bit.  But shit, some of my posts are really about nothing.  Why anyone would be interested enough to read this thing from start to finish is puzzling.  It's also kind of flattering, even if whoever is doing it is doing it for nefarious reasons.  I didn't realize I was that interesting.

Of course, sometimes I notice a person's location, especially when I see they're reading the whole thing.  If they happen to be in a location that is near someone I know offline, I wonder if it's a friend or a family member or a foe.  Sometimes, it's obvious.  Oftentimes, it's not.  I also think it's funny when I write something about a certain company or corporation and they hit my blog repeatedly looking for updates or comments.  A few months ago, I blogged about USAA and they had people from their company stalking this blog for days.  They also had a PR firm in Dallas hitting the blog repeatedly.  They finally lost interest when the post in question didn't end up going viral.

By the way, none of my posts have ever gone viral.  I have had a few that have been oddly popular.  Like, I wrote about Jessica McCord after being freaked out by an episode of Snapped.  I was later very surprised by the epic shitstorm that post generated by people who apparently think divorced fathers are always at fault for marital breakups and they should all be willing to let their exes murder them for the sake of the children.  My post about not putting unstamped mail in mailboxes is very popular.  So is my post about getting a dog hair splinter.

I have had a few posts that have enticed spammers.  In fact, up until yesterday, I only had one post where comments were closed.  I finally closed comments on a review I wrote about a book on cosmetic dentistry because I kept getting spam comments from people in third world countries or, very oddly, Provo, Utah!  It must be a lucrative business for people in Provo to spam peoples' blogs with ads and links to businesses.  I have gotten spam comments from lawyers, plumbers, and mattress salespeople.  Sometimes the comments are even somewhat genuine, like the person actually read the post and contributed a comment that would be welcome if s/he wasn't also advertising.  Most spam comments, even the constructive ones, get automatically deleted.  Very occasionally, I will leave them up if they are entertaining.

In any case, I decided to write today's post because I want to address those who are taking the time to read my whole blog.  If you are reading it because you are sincerely interested, then that's great and I hope you'll stick around.  If you're reading it because you're digging up dirt, more power to you.  If you are a member of my family or a long lost friend, "Hi."  If you are one of my husband's former daughters, "The truth will set you free.  But first, it will piss you off."  (Gloria Steinem)




4 comments:

  1. I've never had the feature that tells me who is reading my blog. Is it free? A few of my old posts inexplicably get regular hits years later, and I don't know why/ I get spammers, too. I usually leave them up if they make it through my spam filter.

    I've never messed with the advertising, either. How much does it pay, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to get Statcounter. It doesn't tell you who is reading, but it gives you enough info that you can figure it out for yourself.

      As for ads... I joined Amazon Associates and Google Adsense ages ago. To be honest before Epinions fell apart, I paid little attention to either. I put ads from Amazon if I post a review or write about something I got from them. As for Adsnse, I got approved a long time ago. I put the links on my blog and when people visit, I get money. It's not a lot now, though I will tell you that until last year or so, I didn't promote the blog at all. I started promoting and money from both sources picked up.

      It's not a lot for me-- yet-- but for you, it could be different.

      Delete
  2. Hello from Ireland.....I'm just a randomer who happened upon your blog awhile back and I enjoy popping in for a read now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Enie! I am honored to have a reader from Ireland. In fact, I seem to be kinda popular with the Irish... including my Irish descended husband! I hope we can visit your beautiful homeland soon!

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.