Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Day two of window restoration...

So the windows guys finished a lot of their work yesterday, but apparently, there's a lady who works in their front office who always manages to mix up the measurements of the windows.  The way the landlords describe it, it sounds almost like she has a type of dyslexia.  But she is the owner's daughter, so she stays in that job.  Consequently, the windows that go in the living room didn't fit properly.  They are now covered with wood and will hopefully be finished at some point this week.  It would be nice if they were done today, but I have a feeling that's not happening.  They're going to have to cut new glass.

I also got a surprise from Novica.com yesterday.  I ordered a sweater last week because I had some store credit.  Because we're in Germany and they don't ship to APO, I had to use my German address.  The sweater got here super fast, but it turns out I owe a customs duty of just over 20 euros.  I wasn't prepared with cash when the guy came, so I had to rebook the delivery.  I'm actually kind of proud of myself, since I called DHL and asked in German if the person on the phone spoke English.  It turned out they did and I successfully rescheduled the delivery.  I may end up actually learning some German on this tour.

It's nice to have new windows, but if I'm honest, having people in my house all day is a bit nerve-wracking.  If you were to meet me in person, you'd probably think I'm very extroverted.  I'm actually not that outgoing, though.  I like peace and quiet and privacy.  Also, one of the men working had some very pungent body odor that made the whole downstairs reek.  I know a lot of European men are less interested in using deodorant than Americans are, but this guy's pheromones about knocked me over.  It's good that most of the windows were out of the house, if you know what I mean.

The landlords are very nice folks, though.  They rode here on their new motorized bikes.  I had never seen one before.  Apparently, they have small motors in them which make climbing hills easier.  I think the landlady is coming by today to mow the lawn.  I don't mind her doing it because she does a great job.  I don't enjoy yard work, though it does give me an excuse to exercise.  Unfortunately, there were a few land mines in the backyard that got missed yesterday.  She pointed them out to me in the most polite way.  I think I got them all so the yard will be ready for her.

I have been reading some horror stories on the Stuttgart Friends group about government contractors getting screwed over.  I full expect that will happen to us, too, eventually.  So I told Bill we should keep our eyes peeled for the next opportunity.  Another contractor recently emailed him and asked him to stay in touch...  Good sign.  And this job he's doing now will give him valuable experience in yet a third theater--  Europe, South and Central America, and now Africa will all be on his resume after this experience.  Meanwhile, I'm focusing on German.  If it looks like we're going to be here awhile, maybe I'll even consider going back to school...  again.  I might as well use my time wisely, even if I'm just an overeducated hausfrau.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.