Thursday, August 7, 2014

I think I'm going to like writing from Germany...

You know why?  Because in the morning, which is when I do most of my writing, most of my friends and family members are still asleep.  Right now, it's almost 2:00am on the East Coast, which is where many of my friends are.  It makes for an easier time concentrating, since I don't get distracted by Facebook.

Another thing I'm not really missing besides the central time zone?  Dr. Phil and the Oprah Winfrey Network.  I know I made the decision to watch his show for hours on end.  It was sort of like a train wreck, though.  It's better not to watch Dr. Phil over and over again because you may find yourself, as I have, repeating some of his trite little sayings.

I don't miss Texas heat, either.  Even when the air conditioning is running full blast, it never gets quite cool enough in the summer and you end up sweating like a whore in church.  I don't miss the Texas macho bullshit, either.  It's a very masculine state.  Granted, I didn't get to see as much of it as I wanted to over the last year, but I saw enough of it that I'm not sure I like it.

I dunno...  I just think Germany is much more pleasing to the eye, temperate, and interesting.  On the other hand, Germany can be a very anal retentive place.  Yesterday, as I was walking my dogs, they spotted a poodle across the street and started barking like mad.  Everybody was staring at us until I finally dragged them in another direction.

Then I started hanging out in the Stuttgart Friends group, where they were talking about shitty German landlords who were trying to rip them off.  The last thing I want to deal with is that, having just gotten out of the rental house from hell.  Germans tend to be rather litigious, though... and they are usually sticklers for the rules.

I think Bill and I are going to go get our licenses on Monday so we'll be legal to drive again.  My old license expired in November 2012.  Given the way things are in military circles, I bet they still have a record of it.  Hopefully, driving in Germany will come right back to me, not that I did it a lot last time we were here.  We only had one car and I usually only drove it when Bill was out of town.  This time, we'll have both cars so I won't be stuck in the middle of nowhere like I was last time (although there was a train within walking distance of where we lived).  The train couldn't get me where I needed to go, though, which was usually on the American military installations.  I don't think I'll be driving much this time, either.  I just want to be able to drive my Mini Cooper on the autobahn and take it on trips.  It uses less gas than the SUV does.

Well... that's about all I have to ramble about right now.  Maybe later, I'll rant about something that irritates me.

5 comments:

  1. It seems like it would be difficult to re-orient oneself to driving on the opposite side of the xar and road. You've done it before, so it wouldn't be so tough for you. t's be afraid of forgetting and driving on the wrong side of the road, although having the steering wheel on the left side would be a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the Germans drive on the same side of the road as Americans do. There's not that much of a learning curve, other than learning the European signs. By the way, many continental European countries drive on the same side of the road as we do in America. It's really just the Brits who are opposite to us.

      Delete
    2. And when I say Brits, I mean those anywhere in the world. In a lot of Caribbean countries and in Australia and New Zealand, the steering wheel is on the right side rather than the left, as it is in the United States and in much of Europe.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I did not know that. My brother got hit by a car when we were about eight in some suburb of London. We were only there for maybe a day on our way to Ireland. He could see no cars coming from across the street, and he looked to the left, as you would in the U.S. He stepped out and . . . screech. Fortunately the driver aw what was coming with a bit of advanced notice and hit the breaks as soon as he recognized the problem, so Matthew escaped with bruises and scrapes. It certainly wasn't the driver's fault, and had he not been driving so defensively, my brother might not have survived.

    My brother is himself, at least for a teen-aged boy, a remarkably defensive driver. I think it may be because he knows someone else's cautious driving saved him, and he feels he owes it to the children, the drunks, and the idiots of the world to watch out for them similarly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill almost got hit by a car in the Czech Republic. But he has a strange affinity for attracting cars. He literally got run over by one when he was 16.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.