Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Another part of the move is done... or bye bye yucky furniture from the 70s!

I called USAA yesterday to ask why they declined my credit card.  Turns out there was a discrepancy in addresses.  My card, which I have been using as seldom as possible since we moved last year, was still associated with our North Carolina address.  Bill naturally input our Texas address into the shipping service's Web site.  The lady at USAA who helped me was pretty awesome and is a credit to the company.  With that straightened out, I made a big charge so our cars will ship.

Today, we're going to get rid of some ugly 70s era bedroom furniture I inherited from my parents.  We have a full sized bed that used to be used by one of my sisters.  Two dressers, a vanity, a bench and two big mirrors are also going.  I'm glad to see them go.  We never use the second guest room and even if we did, I'd prefer to update it with some decent furniture.  We're donating the stuff...  hopefully they can use it.  Wish they could take the yucky mattress, too.  We were going to have a junk dealer take it, but I think we'll just put it in storage and dispose of it when we get back to the States.


Tomorrow, the rest of our stuff will be packed up and moved into storage.  Bill brought me a bottle of champagne yesterday because I was in a foul mood.  Then he took me out to lunch.  We had a very handsome waiter at Macaroni Grill.  I had a good time with some "art therapy"...


If I had curly hair, this would look like me.

We hung out and talked last night...  My mood was vastly improved by the time we went to bed.  Bill is excited about going to work again.  I'm excited that he's going to work, too. 

I called my mom last night to discuss some business with her.  I asked if she'd mind if Bill spoke at my dad's memorial in November.  Bill understood my dad on a level most couldn't.  Mom was fine with it.  Then she asked me what songs I would be singing.  I hope I can pull it off without losing it.  I sent my mom a CD with some of my recordings.  One of the songs I want to do is not on the CD because I haven't been able to make a recording I've been satisfied with yet.  Bill requested that I sing it, though, so I'll try to.

I invited my mom to Germany, too.  Told her we were even bringing an extra bed.  Maybe this time, she'll make it.  I don't think she's ever been to Germany, though she's been to a lot of other places.

Slowly, but surely, this is working out.


9 comments:

  1. What songs are you considering singing? i think it's nice that yur mo assumed you would be singing. I also think it's most apropos that bill would speak at the service, as bill could tell parts of his story as no one else could , having been there himself at a different time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I heard 70's furniture with all the earth tones is coming back, but i'd want to be rid of it, too, fashionable again or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Softly and Tenderly-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfHSPVabAHg&list=UUbpywOM7abEzy-n5VAuRvug

    A Living Prayer-- I have a recording of me doing it but I haven't made a video yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gmVzbjxwl4

    I might do There Is A Reason instead, if I don't get A Living Prayer right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKv9hMHkZZ0&list=UUbpywOM7abEzy-n5VAuRvug

    Or maybe Goodbye My Friend... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDRGXiuG5UE&list=UUbpywOM7abEzy-n5VAuRvug

    I'll probably do two of those four.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, feel free to offer your opinion on which ones you like best.

      Delete
  4. Knotty, I think I accidentally offered my opinions in the wrong place because this pesudocomputer jumps all over the place, but I shall look again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really partial to "Softly and Tenderly." It always makes me think of the old movie, "A trip to Bountiful," which I thought was especially well-made.

    Because he was a military man, you could always throw in "The Battle Hymn" as well and go for the high notes. Show off a bit while you're at it. He would have done the same in his prime.

    Look at a totally unknown song. It relates to both you and your dad because, to a large extent, your faith is/was closely tied to your singing. I don't care for the singer (she's LDS) because she sings out of her range too much, forcing herself halfway between her head voice and falsetto, she doesn't have great breath support, and [just a personal preference against it for me] she sings with too much of a western twang. The songs to which she alludes in the song may be sung by the LDS, but they're almost entirely old Protestant hymns the Mormons have co-opted as opposed to LDS hymns. I don't think the sheet music is in print, but if you have a guitarist, the chords world be super easy to transcribe in a guitar-friendly chord. The song would go beautifully in your voice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WcVEPYhJuQ

    Whatever you sing will be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom has asked me to do "Softly and Tenderly", though she hasn't heard my version yet. I think that one may be the winner. She wants to use familiar hymns at my dad's service.

      Delete
  6. I think "Softly and Tenderly" is the perfect choice, especially if your mom wants it.

    Gosh, you're not going to be over there very long when you have to come back for the service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and you know, after the plane trip we just took, I'm thinking I don't wanna go... ;)

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.