Saturday, July 26, 2014

A non moving related post... God wants you to help her become a lawyer!

Kudos to my Facebook friend, Scooter, who posted this article about Julianna Battenfield, a pretty, Christian, Furman University graduate who wants to be a lawyer.  She has applied and been accepted to Pat Robertson's Regent University in Virginia.  Having grown up near Pat Robertson's Christian empire, I know about Regent.  Battenfield has a long and expensive road ahead of her.  How does she plan to pay for law school?

Well... according to her blog, Ms. Battenfield has declined all student loans because God told her to.  But she needs $55,000 for her first year of school.  She needs $12,500 by August 14.  Since her last blog post was in May of this year, I'm not sure how she's doing, raising the money.  Apparently, she's  using crowd funding to raise funds for her tuition.  She thinks God will make it happen for her... or at least that's what she's telling everyone who visits her multiple pages on the Internet.

I have to say, it takes brass balls to do something like this.  I never would have had the nerve, nor would it ever have occurred to me, to ask for cash from strangers when I was pondering going to grad school.  Moreover, it boggles my mind paying $55,000 for a single year of school, even as I understand that it costs a lot of money to go to law school or med school.  I still owe about $40,000 for my three degrees that I don't use...  I mean, I had full intentions of using them when I was in school, but life didn't turn out that way for me.  I really hope Ms. Battenfield is sure about her goals and is willing to pursue them with dogged determination.  If not, she could be on the receiving end of a lot of heat.  What if she turns out to be like Catherine, the lawyer turned illustrator (although I think that was actually a brilliant career move for Catherine)?

I took a moment to watch Julianna's movie trailer about her pitch to crowd fund her law school ambitions.  She appears to be a high achiever.  She graduated from Furman University in Greenville, South Carolina.  Furman is a good school, historically affiliated with the Baptist church, though I don't think the campus is particularly religious anymore.  According to CollegeData.com, it cost about $57,000 annually to go to Furman during the 2012-13 school year.  If that's true, then Julianna is probably accustomed to paying a lot to go to school.  I can see by her movie that she was involved with dance and she must be a decent student.  She probably got some scholarships to knock the price tag down a bit.



But...  I look at this "movie trailer" and I don't see someone who appears to be particularly Christian.  She obviously did some missionary work in Africa-- Mozambique, I think.  I'm sure she had to raise funds to do that... or maybe she didn't.  She appears to be very well loved by her friends and family.  It looks like she was either homecoming queen or in the homecoming court in high school.  She is pictured wearing a princess crown while blowing out candles in her tank top.  She wears a rather revealing uniform for what looks like a dance team at Furman.  Don't get me wrong-- I have nothing against those things... I just don't think they make her look like a devout Christian.

What cracks me up even more is that she seems to think the world needs another lawyer...  especially a lawyer that went to a religious school founded by a wacko wing nut like Pat Robertson.  Behold...

Exhibit A


Exhibit B


Exhibit C


Really?

Pat Robertson may have built a communications empire with his Christian Broadcasting Network, but I wouldn't call him a paragon of Christlike behavior.  There are other Christian schools out there that I think would be much better and more admirable choices than Regent University.  And if she does happen to get that law degree, she will be competing with a whole lot of other people who went to better schools that don't tie them to a particular belief system.  A lot of people think Pat Robertson is nuts.  If he's nuts, how great can his law school be?

Finally, I wonder what kind of law Julianna thinks she's going to practice that will make her a good Christian?  Will she be the type of lawyer who puts criminals in prison?  Or will she be the type of lawyer that defends the accused?  Or will she be a corporate lawyer who pushes papers?  It's an important question and one she should think long and hard about because her choice will be judged by Christians who opt to give her money.  A lot of Christians are conservative politically, which means that they believe in being tough on crime.  And when someone is actually guilty of a crime and commits an egregious offense, they need to be punished, right?  But doesn't the Bible also advocate against judging?  Aren't Christians encouraged to show mercy and kindness to those who are in trouble?


Rhonda Vincent sang it best... "You Don't Love God If You Don't Love Your Neighbor"...

So I have to wonder what Julianna's goals are.  Is she going to be hellbent on prosecuting accused rapists, murderers, and child molesters?  Or is she going to be the type of lawyer who defends those people?  Is she going to be the type of lawyer who shows mercy toward someone who claims that they are innocent and are wrongly imprisoned?  Will she serve them pro bono?  I think any lawyer who competently defends those who can't otherwise afford legal help is very Christlike.  But giving that kind of help isn't so easy for people who have a lot of bills to pay.  It's also not that easy to give that kind of help if your benefactors expect you to defend their ideals regardless of whether or not they're really humane or fair, or just to simply put so-called "undesirables" away, whether or not they actually belong in prison.  

If Julianna gets her wish and anonymous donors do pay for her to go to school, I would hope she would be a truly Christlike lawyer.  But somehow, looking at her movie trailer, I doubt that's the kind of Christian she is.  It looks like Christianity is more of a club thing for her.  She appears to be the type of Christian who uses religion as a status symbol.  I could be wrong, of course.  I don't know her.  I'm basing my comments on what I can see in her posts so far.  

To be honest, most extremely devout Christians annoy me.  I find many of them to be closed-minded, legalistic, stupid and judgmental about a lot of things.  However, I was raised Christian and I see the value of some of the teachings that come from Christianity.  I don't know Julianna, so I really don't know what kind of a Christian she is.  However, I can say that her video doesn't make me want to reach into my purse for a donation.  She looks like she's led a very charmed life and I have doubts that law school will change that reality for her.  When she appears to be doing something that appears to be truly Christlike and altruistic, maybe then I'll be impressed enough to give her cash.

        

2 comments:

  1. Julianna comes across to me as very entitled. Wouldn't everyone love to finish college and.or law school debt-free,or on Jesus' dime? Maybe she should work for a few years and save her money. She'll be lucky to break even on "God's" investment in ten years if her situation is typical. A few top dogs make lots of money, but many more bring home modest salaries or are unemployed. I feel very good about my decision not to go to law school.

    She perhaps should have studied harder. I did and got enough scholarship money to cover undergrad and med school. I admit that I was helped out by my parents moving to the community where my university was located, and by my uncle funding a dorm room for a couple of semesters, but no one paid for anything else, and between what was left over and what I got in grants for undergrad performance, there's enough for med school tuition. My parents did purchase a condo for my and my brother's housing, so I was lucky in that regard. Had I not been, however, I would have gotten a job for the past two years to make a decent dent in my living expenses.

    Where is the consensus that Furman U. is the second most rigorous university in the nation. I'm not trying to put Furman down, but second in the nation? That would seem to be a stretch.

    i cannot read Julianna's heart to know if she truly is or is not a Christian, and it's not really my place to do so. Furthermore, there are many varieties of Christianity, and I'm open enough to consider them all valid..However, what Julianna reminds me of is the Jesus freaks of the 70's, to whom it was mostly a giant fad.

    In case you can't tell, I don't like Julianna very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know how they figure Furman is that rigorous. It is a good school, but I can think of other schools that are better. I highly doubt it's that tough. That bit of advertising reminds me of when my alma mater was claiming it was the fifth most selective school in Virginia. I'm guessing they were only referring to public schools and even that seemed like it was a bit of hyperbole.

      As for the aspiring lawyer, I think you're right about her entitled attitude. If I were her, I would make a concerted effort not to read the comments on her YouTube video.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.