Sunday, March 30, 2014

This is a truly tragic story...

I like to read The Daily Press sometimes.  It's the newspaper I grew up with and I used to read the paper version of it every day when I was growing up.  Today, I check it a few times a week to see if anything interesting is going on in the area where I grew up.  Today, there was a very sad story about a woman who made a very poor choice in husbands.  Now she and three of her four children are dead.

Fort Eustis Army Sergeant Crystal Ragin was an exemplary soldier who was going to go to school to become a drill sergeant.  She was well-known for being very good at her job, responsible, punctual, and very hard working.  A mother of four, she had been married to her second husband, John Moses Ragin, since 2006.  They met in South Carolina, when Crystal was a guard at the prison where John Ragin was serving a 15 year sentence for manslaughter.  He had killed his childhood best friend.

Once John Ragin was released, Crystal, who by then had joined the Army, was free to marry him.  She did, and he became a father figure to the three children she had with her first husband, Mike Burton.  Then Crystal and John had a child of their own, I'Kaos.

John Ragin was apparently a very jealous and controlling husband.  He insisted on Crystal calling him often.  He never wanted her to go out alone.  He demanded that she live according to his wishes, which included swearing off eating meat.  He was very suspicious of the men Crystal worked with in the Army.

On August 19, 2011, John Ragin had apparently had enough.  He brutally murdered his wife and her three older children, Sierra, La'Kwan, and Rasheed, stabbing them 74 times, and setting their home on fire.  Then he took I'Kaos and went back to South Carolina, where he was arrested the next day.

Ragin now may face the death penalty and his son is being raised by his maternal relatives in South Carolina.  What an awful thing for that family to have to deal with… and what a terrible legacy that little boy now has.

I'm sure Crystal Ragin was a wonderful woman, based on the article written about her.  I wonder why she was attracted to John Ragin.  I can't imagine finding a killer attractive, but I realize that these things aren't always based on logic or common sense.  Sometimes people can change…  or so they say.  I can't imagine I'd want to have my children around someone who had done time for killing someone, but I know that sometimes there are mitigating circumstances.

I just think it's very sad that this woman, who had four beautiful children and a promising career, ended up with someone who obviously couldn't control his rage or impulses.  I don't know what Crystal's reasons were for choosing to marry John Ragin.  It would be easy for me to blame her for being unwise.  But really, she just sounds like someone who trusted someone who was ultimately untrustworthy.  She and her kids paid the ultimate price for that choice.  Her young surviving son will now have to carry on with a father in prison or dead and a mother and siblings who were brutally murdered.

My experiences being Bill's wife have taught me that people sometimes make very poor choices when it comes to finding mates.  Bill made a bad decision to marry his ex wife and he paid a dear price.  But at least he's still alive and healthy.

Reading about this case reminds me of the old story about the scorpion and the frog.  A scorpion wants to cross a stream, but doesn't know how to swim.  So he asks the frog to help him.  The frog worries about being stung, but the scorpion points out that if he stings the frog, they will both die.  So the frog trusts the scorpion and halfway across the stream, gets stung.  As the doomed duo start to sing, the frog asks the scorpion why he did it.  The frog says, "You knew what I was when you picked me up.  It's nature."

With some of these people, I have to think that it's in their nature to be violent and controlling.  In some cases, no amount of love and understanding can overcome that.  I wish Crystal's family much peace.    

   

2 comments:

  1. It's terribly sad. it would seem that she should have known something might not be quite right with the guy, but then, it's so easy to second guess someone.

    It's similar to something that happened in the town where I lived in kindergarten and second grade. I didn't live there when this happened. The children attended my Catholic school, but none were in my grade and I didn't really know them. The mom was our veterinarian when we were there, but again, my parents knew her but i didn't.

    http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Merced-massacre-dad-kills-4-kids-self-2860487.php

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.