Monday, March 3, 2014

Dump Cakes...

Is it me, or is the term "dump cake" distinctly unappetizing?  I just saw an ad dedicated to a Dump Cake Cookbook.  If you call now, you can get a bonus cookbook full of recipes for Dump Dinners.  I don't want to be reminded of what I have to do after a good meal, especially one full of processed crap-- soda, cake mix, and whatever else.


I don't know who this woman is, but she looks like an expert on Dump Cakes…

In all honesty, I've heard that Dump Cakes are tasty and easy to make.  I know they're comfort food.  I know they are a quick way to make something yummy for your kid's Brownie meeting.  But do you really need an entire cookbook full of Dump Cake recipes?  



Here's Steve Harvey with the Duchess of Dump Cakes herself…

I have no need for help when it comes to dumping, so I'll be giving this a pass.  But I have to admit, the commercial made me chuckle.  So does spotted dick.     



2 comments:

  1. My mom has a dump cake recipe that I like. As in ONE, un uno, ein -- a single recipe in the entire world of dump cake recipes -- that would not by definition place itself onto my Donner Party List.. Like you, neither would I have any use for an entire book of such recipes.

    The featured cook and saleswoman DOES look like the prototypical dump cake diva. Perhaps she's shooting for her own food network show. I wouldn't want to be the one to tell her, though, but I think her niche is too narrow. I don't think there's enough material or interest there for even a single episode of "Throwdown" with Bobby Flay as opposed to an entire series. (Can't you just imagine the petulant little Flay having a tantrum in some producer's office over having to produce something so low-brow as a dump cake on camera?)

    A dump cake IS sort of a comfort food, though i would have died if my mom had provided it as refreshment for my Brownie or Bluebirds troop had I ever been in one. Little girls expect the food their mommies bring for refreshments to be pretty, and dump cakes are decidedly un-pretty.

    For me personally, even though there exists a single recipe of which I would eat if sufficiently hungry, the whole dump cake concept violates the very foundation of my personal food philosophy, as I do not allow my food to touch each other when it's all on the plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to sit up and take notice when that ad came on TV. I don't think I've ever eaten or made a dump cake, and this woman's commercial did not make me more interested in doing either.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.