Sunday, March 30, 2014

Breakfast bummer...

On the weekends, Bill takes a lot of pride in making breakfast.  He tends to get stuck in ruts, but what he knows how to make, he makes very well.  On Saturdays, I can count on a poached egg, prepared to my liking, grits boiled for about 30 minutes, a side of bacon or sausage, and a biscuit made from Bisquick.  He makes premium coffee and pours juice, usually orange but sometimes something else.

On Sundays, he often makes pancakes with a side of sausage or bacon.  This morning, we didn't have enough milk for the usual pancake breakfast.  So he came into my office and asked me what I wanted.  I get pretty irritated when he does this, even though I know he only does it because he loves me and wants to make me happy.  Then he gets peeved when I say I don't know what I want.  I hadn't really thought about it.

I think I get annoyed because it feels like I'm on the spot.  It just kind of highlights the differences between how the two of us handle dilemmas.  If I were the one making breakfast, I would have just gone to the pantry and found something else.  Maybe we would have had oatmeal or I would have made muffins or something.  But Bill wants my input about what we'll have for breakfast.  I should be glad he cares… but I would be lying if I said it doesn't sort of vex me in a mildly funny kind of way.    

He asked me what I wanted and said, "You know what I want?  Krispy Kremes!"

He rolled his eyes, because that means he has to get in the car and go pick some up.

I said, "I bet if you went to that gas station on the corner, you'd find something.  It doesn't have to be Krispy Kremes."  I have to laugh about encouraging my husband to go to a gas station for our breakfast.  Kind of brings new meaning to the term "gas station".

Then Bill said, "Or I could go to a real doughnut shop and get something."

"Exactly." I said.  I love that he's willing to do this for me, especially since he calls doughnuts "fat pills".

So he just went to get our breakfast.  He probably ought to go to the store and pick up milk, half and half, and whatever else we need.  Thanks to our trip to the growler station last week, we never did get around to our weekly commissary trip.  However, yesterday Bill did manage to swing by Spec's and pick up beer, though.

First world problems… and look!  He's just parked in our driveway.  Guess that means it's time for breakfast!





2 comments:

  1. Hope the donuts were good. My parents left for the day at about 6:30 a.m., so I had leftover Popeye's chicken strips for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they hit the spot quite nicely! It was a nice change of pace!

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.