Thursday, February 27, 2014

Quiz Kids...


Somebody posted this on a Facebook friend's wall this morning. 

Yes, I am in the photo posted above.  For some reason, when I was in the fourth grade, I was considered "smart".  Actually, I wasn't as smart as the other quiz kids.  In third grade, I was in the same class as everybody else in the above photo-- the "gifted" class.  In fourth grade, I was in the next lower class.  I think it was because I used to daydream a lot and my third grade teacher thought I needed a slower class.  My grades were fine, but I wasn't considered as "smart" as everyone else in that class.  So I was put in Mr. Almasian's class, where I was sort of the "star" compared to the other students.  I got good grades and high test scores.  

Incidentally, after that year, my "smartness" became perfectly mediocre and my grades were pretty average.  That was probably the last year I was considered smart.  My parents didn't push me and I was pretty lazy, so I stayed on the college preparatory track instead of the honors track.

So anyway, because people still thought I was "smart" in fourth grade, I got put on this Quiz Kid team.  Most of those kids in the photo with me were in the gifted class and I was the only one who wasn't anymore.  I see one kid who wasn't in that class, but he had just moved to the county in fourth grade.  

And yet, though I wasn't in the smart kids' class anymore, I was given special extracurricular activities like the spelling bee, Junior Great Books, and this Quiz Kid thing.  I turned out to be totally useless on my team.  I didn't answer a single question.  I think I tried to, but other kids were quicker on the draw than I was.  And it turned out it was a good thing they were, because I probably would have answered the questions wrong.  I remember I got a lot of shit for not answering any questions. While maybe I should have been flattered to be considered "smart", the Quiz Kid experience isn't exactly a happy memory for me.  

I didn't have a lot of confidence back then.  A lot of those kids used to bully me, so it was probably just as well that I wasn't in their class anymore.  Being in a different group put an end to most of the bullying, except for that which happened on the school bus.  Of course, thanks to Facebook, I'm still in contact with many of these folks.  In fact, my ex best friend is also in the photo.  Not surprisingly, she is on the other team.

I guess I can look at this clipping and laugh, though.  I did grow up to become The Overeducated Housewife, after all.

I had a good cry this morning in front of Bill, who, as usual, was very kind.  I felt a bit pathetic sitting there in tears, but a good cry is good for the soul and helps release stress.  I think I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed by everything, which seems even more ridiculous.  I'm not exactly a busy mom juggling a job and a bunch of kids.  It just feels like everything is transitioning at once.  I'm sure it'll be fine, but in the meantime, it's just difficult to deal with.  The last few years have been a blur of moves and changes and I'm not getting any younger.  But now that I'm reminded of the March day in 1982 when I was a "Quiz Kid", it seems like time has really flown by.
        





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.