Friday, February 7, 2014

Coke keeps you thin and other funny ad claims!


I ran across this funny ad from 1961 last night.  This lady claims that her Coca-Cola doesn't have too much sugar and prevents her from eating stuff she shouldn't be eating.  Since we didn't have Diet Coke until the 1980s, I guess Coke had to make some claims to bring in the dieting crowd.  Granted, in 1961, Coke was a treat.  It was made with cane sugar and the bottles were only eight ounces.  But I doubt drinking a Coke will keep you thin in 1961 or today.


Pearl Drops are supposed to give your teeth that "fresh from the dentist" feeling.  I remember when these ads ran in the 1980s.  That was obviously a more innocent time.  How many of us, after bumping into some random guy who makes us drop our groceries, would want to go out on a date with him fifteen minutes later?  Bizarro!  I see Amazon.com still has this stuff for sale, but I wonder if it's really the same product.



Winston cigarettes taste good.  'Nuff said.


Calgon, which used to have the dual use of bath beads and laundry softener, was billed as an "ancient Chinese secret".  Funny thing is, the lady in this ad is Japanese.  Calgon used to be sold as bath beads, too.


"Calgon! Take me away!"



Palmolive makes your hands soft.  I don't know if this is true or not.  I have always been strictly a dishwasher kind of girl.

I could probably watch these ads all day.  I'll probably do just that.




2 comments:

  1. High octane cola makes you thin. That's almost funny. if they amped it up just bit, it might actually work. Sort of like liquid meth, I suppose.

    I asked my friend's grandmother if she's ever used Palmolive for washing dishes. . She said not that she can remember. . She remembers the commercials and is highly skeptical of the claims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ads from my youth are hilarious when I watch them today. They've changed a lot since the 70s and 80s.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.