Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Boundaries and control freaks, part II

I posted on Facebook about the woman from Utah who was so upset about the t-shirts being sold at PacSun.  We were having a rather raucous discussion about it and admittedly, comments were made that were rather disrespectful.  And I will also admit that I, personally, made some rude comments about the scowling Mormon mama.  I couldn't help it.  That photo that ran in the Tribune-- and I'm guessing she is the one who called them-- looked seriously like she needed to get laid.  And that was my first "rude" comment.  Another friend made a comment suggesting that the lady had a stick up her ass.

Other rude comments followed by other people… and then there was a comment from a guy who, just a couple of weeks ago, took issue with my thoughts on Bristol Palin's blog post about Wendy Davis.  This guy is very conservative, very Catholic, and very opinionated.  Indeed, I met him on Epinions.com and have even met him in person.  I've noticed over the years that he rides quite the moral high horse.  Indeed, he rode one right into my thread on Judy Cox, Mormon avenger mom trying to save the people of Orem from indecent t-shirts.  Granted, I have not seen the shirts in question and if I did, I probably would think they were in poor taste.  But it's not up to me to decide for my community what is or isn't decent.  There were more appropriate ways for this mom to take action rather becoming a public figure, subject to public opinion and ridicule… not just by me and my friends, but by the world at large.

Anyway, after a few shaming comments leveled at me and a few of my friends who were being rude, Mr. Morals declared he was leaving the conversation.  And one of my good friends, said "No, please 'stick' around…" which I thought was hilarious.  He fired one more parting shot and I said "Have fun riding your moral high horse off into the sunset." as he left the thread in obvious disgust.

So I'm not the most polite person in the world.  Who is?  I told Mr. Morals that I don't take too kindly to people dictating to other adults what is and what is not appropriate.  His response?  "Please. Spare me."

No, spare me…  I don't see why, if you find something distasteful going on on someone else's Facebook page, you feel the need to step in and call everyone to repentance, and then, when no one is appropriately ashamed, you bow out in disgust.  That's not respectable behavior either.  

Like I said, it must be very exhausting to feel the need to constantly monitor other peoples' behavior.  Jeez!

4 comments:

  1. You know a situation is bad when Mormons and conservative Catholics join forces.

    My take on the LDS nutcase's motivation is that she's attempting to get the attention of Mormon leaders so that they'll give her a high-ranking LDS position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or as high-ranking a position in LDS hierarchy as a woman can achieve, antway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheesh. That thread had died down, but then got cranked up again. I finally posted this…

    Oh for God's sake. I confess I often act like an adolescent and am generally not the most polite person in the world. Anyone who knows me well, already knows this about me. This is my Facebook page, though, and I feel free to post whatever I want on it and make whatever snarky comments I want to make. If you have a problem with that, hit the unfriend button. I guarantee that much worse things about this woman have been said and written elsewhere. As a general rule, I don't go on other peoples' pages and leave them self-righteous comments about the things they post. As rude as my comments may have been, I think publicly shaming someone on Facebook is also very rude.

    To my great surprise, a lot of my friends "liked" that.

    As to your comments about the woman's motivations for doing what she did, it's entirely possible that she's bucking for a calling. Bill said he looked at her and thought she appeared to be very repressed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.