Saturday, January 25, 2014

Wearing rank...


Someone posted this on Facebook tonight.  A friend of mine who is a former Marine shared it and I happened to see it right after waking up from a four and a half hour nap.  Like many people, I thought the photo was ludicrous and it provoked feelings that were a mixture of disbelief and revulsion.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of military spouses who wrongly think they deserve to wear rank.  Because of that stereotype, this photo is now viral and people are leaving nasty comments.  I am ashamed to admit that I left one of my own on my friend's FB page.  But then I got curious because I wanted to know more about the photo.  I made the mistake of reading the comments left by servicemembers.

I went to the original source and someone commented that the photo was posted by the woman's husband as a "joke".  That made me stop and think for a minute.  If that is the case, I feel very sorry for her.  The comments directed at this post are absolutely hateful and vile.  Any husband who would subject his wife to that "for laughs" is a massive asshole.  Seriously, if Bill ever did that to me, I would strongly consider filing for divorce.  The comments people are leaving are definitely no laughing matter.  In fact, they show a disturbing animosity among service people toward family members, particularly those who are Army spouses... And that hateful term "dependent" came up again, bastardized to "dependapotamus", implying that the woman is a fat, lazy, parasite who deserves no respect or consideration whatsoever.  Anyone who would willingly and deliberately open their spouse up to such hostility for shits and giggles has some severe issues.

That being said... A military spouse does have a role and deserves recognition for supporting their service member, but they do not deserve "rank" and shouldn't be demanding it.  But people in the military should also remember that spouses are people too, and they deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.  The military lifestyle is not easy for anyone, spouses included.  It would be nice if everyone in the military community remembered that.



11 comments:

  1. I couldn't click on the link. I'm really curious.

    Are you home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, we're delayed in ATL. I replaced the photo and it's showing up. Can you not see it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'll fix it when I get to my computer. Should be in an hour or two.

      Delete
  4. See it now. What are "CIB" and "POG'?

    Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're apparently googling Richard, too. i didn't think it would work that well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. CIB= combat injury badge. POG= people other than grunt.

    I didn't Google Richard. However, I will say that was a very entertaining post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay... Now I see what you mean. Holy shit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom is royally angered by the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hence her advice/order to "shut the hell up" on your blog?

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.