Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Abortion and gun violence...

I don't see a connection, do you?  Nevertheless, this quote was on a friend's Facebook this morning.

"Forty years ago, the United States Supreme Court sanctioned abortion on demand. And we wonder why our culture sees school shootings so often." Rep. Kevin Cramer (R-ND) on the hidden connection between Roe v. Wade and gun massacres.

What the hell do school shootings have to do with a woman's right to have an abortion?  Women who have abortions don't have embittered kids who grow up hating the world.  Or, at least the kid who was aborted doesn't grow up that way.  Maybe the aborted kid's siblings might, but I doubt it's because their mother chose to have an abortion.

I think school shootings are a scary side effect of many complex problems, none of which have a damn thing to do with abortion.  I think it's sad that we have so many elected officials who are as idiotic as Rep. Kevin Cramer is.  Unfortunately, he's just one of a few ding-a-lings empowered to propose new laws.

Rep. Trent Franks of Arizona said,

"The incidence of rape resulting in pregnancy are very low." – Arizona Rep. Trent Franks, mansplaining why abortion bans don't need rape exceptions.

Really?  So I guess women who get pregnant due to rape ought to just grin and bear it because they are oddities…

Franks must have been taking lessons from former Rep. Todd Akin, who on the topic of pregnancy resulting from rape, infamously said, 

"From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," Akin said. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist."

And probably one of the saddest dipshit comments from a politician came from Texas Rep. Jodie Laubenberg, who said

"In the emergency room they have what’s called rape kits, where a woman can get cleaned out,"

Clearly Rep. Laubenberg has no idea what rape kits are.  She follows up with a somewhat more intelligent comment that totally got overshadowed by the previous stupid one…

"The woman had five months to make that decision, at this point we are looking at a baby that is very far along in its development."

I don't disagree that a five months pregnant woman probably should have made a decision regarding abortion before she got to the five months mark.  But how many people heard that and weren't reeling from Laubenberg's first comment about rape kits, which for your edification, are used to collect evidence after a rape, not to "clean a woman out".

I don't necessarily agree with the following joke, but thought it seemed kind of appropriate for this particular post.

HOT AIR BALLOON

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, "Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am."

The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, "You're 840 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.29 minutes north latitude, and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude."

She rolled her eyes and said, "YOU must be a democrat."

"I am," replied the man. "How did you know?"

The balloonist answered, "Everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what to do with your information, and I am still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help to me."

The man smiled and responded, "YOU must be a Republican."

"I am," replied the balloonist, "How did you know?"

"Well," said the man, "you don't know where you are or where you're going. You've risen to where you are due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, then you expect me to solve your problem. You're in exactly the same situation you were before we met but, somehow, now it's my fault."

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...

2 comments:

  1. I like the story. I'm a democrat, but for the primary reason that I choose to vote in primaries that matter, which means I needed to choose between being a democrat and being a republican. I'm more liberal than conservative, but neither major party embodies my political philosophy, and I don' feel any sense of party loyalty that would prevent me from crossing party lines in voting.

    Certainly not all politicians are ignoramuses. Why do those who are intellect- or information-challenged not know who they are, and why do such politicians not remain silent when a topic of discussion is clearly beyond their scopes of expertise? No one can be expected to be an expert on all topics. On the other hand, anyone can be expected to know what he or she does or does not know, and should be held accountable for stupid public statements occurring as a result of a failure to self-acknowledge one's own limitations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vote Republican and Democratic about equally… but more often than not, I make a point of voting for someone in a third party, simply because I think they need more votes. We need more than two parties from which to select candidates. The only time I don't do that is when there are very important issues at stake. But honestly, I think both the major parties often suck.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.