Tuesday, December 3, 2013

More ambitious today...

So far, I've left a peevish note on TRICARE dental's Facebook page, to which they have once again instructed me to use their useless form so I can get "confidential" help.  I'm not looking for confidentiality; I'm looking for ACTION.  I don't need answers to questions; I need them to pay for their share of my crown so I can get the other one started.  Otherwise, why do we pay them premiums every month?  I do understand that insurance companies don't want to pay for "unnecessary treatments", but that tooth needed to be crowned.  Moreover, I am not the only one who has had to put up with them not holding up their end of the bargain.

I wrote a post for PopRockNation and a music review… did a load of laundry, cleaned the bathrooms, and picked up all the dog shit in the backyard.  I suppose I could also mow the lawn, even though it's December and I shouldn't have to mow in December.  But as it's about 75 degrees here in Texas, the grass is still growing.  It's definitely pleasant outside, but weird given the date on the calendar.  I think I prefer to live in places that have four seasons.

I'm feeling kind of frustrated lately, which I guess is coming out in the things I write.  I have even less patience for bullshit than I typically have and little inclination to put up with crap from other people.  I'm not sure if it's because of the time of year or the fact that we're about to enter into yet another stressful transition.  Anyway, this increased bitchiness reminds me of this famous scene from Steel Magnolias



Yes, I am cranky and complain a lot.  I vacillate between not giving a fuck and being energized by my frustration, which motivates me to leave nasty notes on TRICARE dental's Facebook page.  I notice that my bitchy notes tend to get "likes" from other frustrated people who are paying for nonexistent dental health coverage foisted on us by the government.  I do feel sorry for those who work for MetLife Dental.  It must be a soul sucking experience to have to deal with so many disgruntled people.  I take some comfort in knowing that in less than a year, Bill will retire and we will either sign up with Delta Dental, which may or may not be any better, or we'll get some kind of health savings plan.  Or hell, I'll just let all my teeth rot out.

Last night, I was chatting with a friend of mine who got caught up in my "Mormon hate speech" debacle.  She was giving me the lowdown on a guy she once dated, who was a colossal asshole.  He grew up to be a very wealthy conman who screwed a lot of people out of money in rent to own housing schemes.  While it does not give me pleasure to hear about people who successfully screw other people over, I was glad she told me about this guy, who lives in Florida and has scammed a lot of hopeful homeowners out of cash.  Bill and I hope to buy a home at some point and I want to steer clear of sleazy people.  I tried to steer clear of our sleazy property managers and ended up having to deal with them anyway.  Fuck me.

Why can't I be one of those cheerful people who always manages to smile and wins people over with charm and kindness?  I know a lot of people like that.  Hell, Bill is one of those people.  He's a nice guy who is unfailingly polite, calls people Ma'am and Sir, and somehow always manages to make people warm and fuzzy.  I, on the other hand, am cynical and bitchy and tend to tell people what I think of them.  If I like them, they know.  If I don't, they know.  Some folks love that about me, but I'm sure many think I am a pain in the ass.  I think I'm a pain in the ass, too…  but Bill loves me, so he keeps me around.  The other day, when I was about to sink into depression, he said if he lost me, there would be a huge void.  I'm sure…  the dogs would miss me, definitely.

I think I may be getting depressed again… which isn't a good thing.  I know what depression feels like and I know that to feel better, it may mean I'll need antidepressants.  And in order to get them, I'll have to access TRICARE, which is a big pain in the butt that probably isn't worth the time or the effort.  Part of being depressed, though, is the feeling that simple actions are impossible or not worth the effort… or that my well-being isn't worth attending to.  I've been there before, but last time, I had private health insurance.  Funny, but that policy I had that was so great would probably be discontinued today, since it didn't include maternity.  I still think Obamacare isn't a bad thing… I do think the rollout has been a disaster, though, and they do need to tweak it so that people don't have to pay for stuff they won't use.  They're never going to get people onboard with forcing them to buy health insurance that forces menopausal women to pay for maternity coverage.

I realize this is a rambling post that is pretty grouchy and bah humbugish.  I did at least get some things done, though.  Maybe I will cut the lawn.  The exercise would do me good and give me a reason to take a shower, which would mean slipping back into my nightgown afterwards.

Just as I was typing this, I got a phone call from MetLife Dental.  They approved my appeal on November 22 and sent the check for about $330 then.  Of course, it's now December 3rd and I'm just now finding out about it, but at least I don't have to worry about paying for that first crown anymore.  The guy who called me used my given name and, I must admit, I corrected him by calling myself Mrs. Crossen.  I really don't mean to be a bitch about my name, but that happens to be a pet peeve.  If he had called me Jenny, I wouldn't have done that, but he doesn't know me well enough to know that I go by Jenny, so there you go.  He was actually very nice and I thanked him for helping me.    

So that's one reason to smile…  I don't look forward to having another crown done, but I do look forward to losing the pain and sensitivity, not to mention the worry, of a cracked molar.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you're not getting depressed.

    I have trouble with incompetence, too.

    Good luck with the dental work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexis. The approval did help boost my spirits. I think it's just this time of year and all the crap that's happened lately.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.