Friday, December 6, 2013

I tried to watch the live version of The Sound of Music last night...

And I lasted a few minutes before I had to change the channel…

Carrie Underwood is a good singer and certainly looks like she could be an Austrian nun turned governess.  The kids in the show and Stephen Moyer were decent, too.  But the acting was pretty wooden and Carrie Underwood, as a southerner, is not convincing as Maria Von Trapp.  Hearing her say Maria's lines with her southern accent was off-putting.  It was making me want to watch the movie, which I have seen many times and absolutely love…

So I changed the channel to TBN and watched Joel Osteen and the Praise the Lord program, where they had a tribute to Paul F. Crouch.  I have to say, Crouch had a lot of audacity.  I happened to catch him speaking about how TBN was blessed by a gift from God at the very last minute… and the crass way he accepted the gift to start his television network.  It was pretty clear to me that the channel is all about the money.


"I am a little god…"



Here, he goes off and tells his guest to "sue the bastards"…


This video is bound to make you roll your eyes…  

I suppose I could also blog about the death of Nelson Mandela.  To tell you the truth, I don't feel right doing that.  I know who he was, but I don't know much about why he was so revered by so many.  I do know a bit about Apartheid, because I read a couple of very good books about the subject.  One book, Kaffir Boy, by Mark Mathabane, was especially interesting.  His sister, Miriam, also wrote a book about growing up under Apartheid that was good.  But they were personal stories about Apartheid, not so much stories about Mandela.  So I don't feel qualified to say much on the subject… But I did enjoy Peter Gabriel's wrenching tribute to Stephen Biko.

  

Two of my friends had babies this week.  One was a little girl delivered by my first cousin once removed.  The other is a little boy delivered by an old friend from my summer camp days.  I have another cousin (sister of the one who just gave birth) who should be going into labor any minute.  A whole bunch of my friends have had babies this year.  It almost makes me want to run out and get pregnant.

I need to come up with a music topic for PopRockNation… but nothing is coming to mind right now.  

I do seriously recommend these books…





2 comments:

  1. When I was a teenager I revered Steve Biko. Have you seen the film "Cry Freedom"- it's excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't seen it. Will have to look into it!

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.