Friday, December 13, 2013

Guns...

It's scary easy to buy a gun in Texas.  My husband, being a member of the Armed Forces, is interested in purchasing a firearm.  He has a friend who has one for sale and is asking $500 for it.

I am not against Bill having a weapon if he wants one.  I know he's responsible and knows how to shoot.  He had to qualify with a pistol before he went to Iraq.  He's even taken me to the range, where I learned to shoot and got some practice.  It turned out to be a lot of fun, even though I know guns can be deadly.

He told me last night he would probably pass on the weapon, though, because he wants to spend that money on a trip.  He says he doesn't want a gun for personal protection, but because he enjoys target practice.

Yesterday, some of his buddies posted this ad…



It's actually kind of a clever and funny ad, in my opinion.  I shared it and a friend said she didn't get why it was funny or clever or offensive.  I wasn't about to jump into an argument about it with her, but to me, it's obvious why some would find it offensive.  And it's obvious why some would find it funny.

The lady in the ad didn't even have to pull the trigger.  The would-be rapist knocked down her door and found himself staring down the barrel of a Glock.  Instead of advancing toward the woman, he fainted dead away.  When he came to, he was cuffed and strapped to a stretcher, and R. Lee Ermey, the guy from Full Metal Jacket (whose autograph Bill scored for me) says he "picked the wrong girl".

I do think that people should have the right to own a weapon if they have been properly trained and it will make them feel safer.  On the other hand, it scares me that it's so easy to buy a gun in Texas.  All you have to do is pass a rudimentary check to make sure you're not a felon and you can buy one…  It's probably easier to buy a gun here than booze.

Of course, it's probably not practical for Bill to buy a gun.  But he still wants one.  I guess, given his line of work, I can't blame him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.