Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Ahh… Christmas Eve...

Bill has been sick the past few days, but he's basically functional, which is a good thing.  His mom is coming over later today and we'll have a nice Christmas Eve dinner.  Tomorrow, after we open presents, we're supposed to meet up with friends on the Riverwalk.  Apparently, this is a tradition for this particular friend and his wife.  I feel kind of sorry for the people who will end up working, but I imagine they'll be rewarded for it.

Last week, a guy I worked with at a summer camp back in 1994 sent me a private message with a link to real estate in Helotes, Texas.  He is a vicar at an Episcopalian church there and is hoping Bill and I will move out there.  I think it's mainly because we have good taste in beer… but it's also because he's hoping I'll join his church's choir.  I actually don't like singing in choirs that much, nor am I particularly religious.  But Episcopalians are, by and large, fairly low impact folks who don't get all up in your business.  And church can be a good place to "get a life".

I signed up for real estate sites and, like sharks looking for fresh blood, the real estate agents came calling…  I had to tell one of them yesterday that we'd contact him when we were ready to get serious about looking for a house to buy.  At this point, we're still not absolutely sure we're staying here.  I have a feeling we will, but I don't want to buy a home until it's a sure bet.

Helotes is not far from where Bill's mom lives, so if we do move out there, we'll be closer to friends AND family.  But I'm not sold on Texas, yet.  On the other hand, we do have some friends here, at least… and I think Bill can find work here.  Hell, maybe I can find work.

I called my mom to wish her a Merry Christmas and she didn't seem to want to talk.  Turns out my dad has a stomachache and she needed to take him to the bathroom.  He's not being cooperative, though he did get on the phone and say hi.  She asked me to call back later, but if I do, it'll be in several hours.  She didn't sound like she was in the mood for a phone call.

Anyway… not much on my mind this morning, but I wanted to wish everyone a nice holiday.  Hope it's stress free, fight free, and drama free.



  

6 comments:

  1. my holiday was stress-free and drama-free if a little bit boring. I've had croup; at work on Friday, we were assigned a conference room at the courthouse that hadn't been used or cleaned for months, and the one-inch or so layed of dust made both pseudoaunt and me sick. I need to be over this in five days so i'm doing everything I'm supposed to do. I need to work tomorrow but cannot if I'm still hacking all over the place.

    Chistmas is nice. I got a new violin bow, which was probably pricy. It's really good that I got it though, because the old one hasn' been the same since the witch events coordinator grabbed it. I also got some new sweaters and a new dress.

    I hope the Lt. Col. is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is feeling better, but now I'm sick. Texas is being bitten by the flu pretty badly this year. I had a fever, but Advil and Tylenol took care of it.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear you're suffering with the flu. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to get some light housework done. Then I'll probably go back to bed.

      Delete
  3. How does being sick work when you're in the military? If you don't already have the day off, do you have to go in to work unless you're 89% dead, or does the military give reasonable sick leave? I asked my mom, but she said she doesn't know of her dad or brothers ever being sick when they were in the military. They probably were; she just doesn't know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill usually goes in unless he's half dead. He has come home early before, though, and he has called in when he's truly incapacitated or snowed in. When our dog Flea died, he took the day off. Once you're at his level, sick leave is reasonable. When he was more junior, though, he had to work really sick. One time he got cellulitis in his legs and a doctor reported him AWOL because he was supposed to report back to the hospital for antibiotics. But his boss wouldn't let him go.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.