Thursday, November 14, 2013

Yet another scam...

Today's mail included a letter from "Motor Vehicle Division" with the notation that read "vehicle document/alert notice, personal & confidential".  It was sort of like the one I got last week from the credit arbitrators.

Basically, it was a very official looking document that was obviously designed to scare me into calling  a toll free number to sign up for a "vehicle service contract".  Evidently, the warranty on my Toyota RAV4 is about to expire.  Given that the car is a 2006 model, I am guessing the warranty has already expired.  Fortunately, that car still has under 100,000 miles on it and runs great.


Once again, I did some searching online and quickly found this discussion…  Interestingly, one of the posters wrote that the phone number on their letter was the same as one for the US Airlines scam I wrote about a couple of years ago.  Based on the comments people made about this outfit, I would not be surprised if the US Airlines people are the same folks or somehow related, but I don't know that for certain.

Notice at the bottom of the letter, there's a threat that if I don't call by Monday, I won't be able to take advantage of this offer.  Thanks, but no thanks.  It's pretty hard to collect when you do pay these companies for their bullshit "service contracts".  At the very bottom of the page, in small print, it says it's an advertisement.

If you get a letter that looks like this, I recommend tossing it into the round file.  As a side note, I sure would love to know who's selling my name and address to these sleazy companies.

Here's another article about this particular scam.




4 comments:

  1. Scams are becoming increasingly prevalent. My mom keeps getting calls from the same feight or so number supposedly all over the country, but it's the same guy.He has a foreign (possibly Indian) accent. He asks for my mom by name, then hangs up really fast if my dad or I say she's not available. the noe time she spoke to him he hung up when she demanded to know what he wanted, but then he called back with a different number and state showing up on the caller ID. I've checked out the number on message boards, and many people have been bothered by this gut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These kinds of bottom feeder companies ought to be illegal. It's bad enough getting them when you can spot a scam. They make these things look real, though, and that scares the hell out of the young and inexperienced and the elderly. They end up getting ripped off.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.