Sunday, November 3, 2013

The gospel of Tim Minchin...


I am not quite an atheist… but I am very fond of the saying, "Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out."  Apparently, so is Tim Minchin…

Incidentally, I was introduced to Tim Minchin's music by exMormons.  ExMormons, for some reason, tend to have excellent taste in music and reading.  I have found many great artists and authors who are exMormons or are admired by exMormons.  And since I love music and reading, this is a perfect thing for me.  I write about musicians and authors I admire, after all…


Tim Minchin sings here about "The Good Book"…


And here he pontificates on his thoughts about religion.  To tell you the truth, I have never been particularly religious.  I was dragged to church every week for most of my childhood.  But not much of it ever sunk in…  Then I worked at a church camp, which was a great job.  I actually really enjoyed being the cook at a rustic camp in Virginia.  I made great friends, slept on a cot, and lived in a platform tent for two summers.  It was a defining experience.  But it didn't make me religious.  I see value in churches… but the value I see is not in worshiping God.  It's in making social contacts and enjoying music… sometimes, depending on the church you attend, you may get some wisdom in the form of a sermon.


I would probably go to church if I were on my own…  Bill is now turned off of organized religion and has no desire to attend services.  I'd rather be with him than go to church.  But the church I would attend would no doubt be the church I was raised in, because as churches go, it's pretty laid back and traditional.  And since I have so much Scottish ancestry, it's also heritage.


In any case, as far as I'm concerned, Tim Minchin is worth following.  He has his own gospel, if you will… and a lot of his messages are lovely.


Like this song about "Prejudice"…


And this one about "loving Jesus"…

I could probably join a church headed by Tim Minchin...  

2 comments:

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.