Saturday, July 13, 2013

Just what we need...

Given that we have to move at the end of the month, I've started doing some preliminary cleaning.  I noticed a spot of what appeared to be mold on the ceiling over our refrigerator.  Yesterday, I used a damp sponge with a little bleach on it to clean the spot.  In retrospect, I should have just used a spray bottle with a little bleach water in it, but it never occurred to me that the ceiling might be wet or anything, even though it's been raining a lot lately.  I scrubbed very gently to get the moldy stuff off and my thumb went right through...

So now we have this on our ceiling...


  

When this happened, I immediately got a sinking feeling because no one wants a hole in the ceiling right before moving day.  But I started thinking about it and it occurred to me that there must be a leak in the roof or something.  Because I really barely touched the ceiling and it shouldn't have just made a hole like this.  I think the hole will be easy enough to fix.  We called the property managers and they're sending the handyman out to look at it.  But I think it's a sign that this house has bigger problems that thankfully won't be our issues to fix.

Actually, it makes me think that owning a house might not be all it's cracked up to be!

Last night, we visited some friends.  Actually, we met these folks in January, when we were adopting Arran.  They were his "foster parents".  They had a party complete with pool time.  Zane wanted to get in the pool so badly, but couldn't bring himself to get in.  As it was, only Tommy, another hound who reminded us a lot of MacGregor, got in the water.  I wish I had thought to get a photo.  I did get these pictures of him, though.


Tommy tries on shades...


What a cool dog!

Although we still miss MacGregor, I have to admit that losing him led to some good things.  We made at least three new friends and got a great new hound in the process.  Arran had fun in his old house too, visiting all his former beagle buddies.


Zane and Arran saying hi to Susi.

I will miss these folks in North Carolina.  I hope we make friends in Texas.


2 comments:

  1. Zane is too cute for words!

    My parents say the only thing they like about home ownership is the ability to make physical changes to the home or property at will (as long as your homowners' association board is not made up of Nazis) and the idea that no one can decide they want their house back and refuse to renew the lease. They say otherwise they never would have invested in any homes. The hassle of selling when you want to move is unbelievable, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That photo of the dog in shades is Tommy, who belongs to my friend Susi. Zane wouldn't wear glasses willingly!

      We have never bought a house because at the beginning of our marriage, we couldn't afford to buy. Now that we're in much better financial straits, we move all the time. And yes, selling is a big pain in the ass and we have no desire to be landlords.

      If we like San Antonio, it might be time to buy a house... and actually live in one place for awhile. On the other hand, I like being able to move when we need to. I hate the idea of homeowner's associations, though I can see why some people like them. Again, I prefer rural areas... of which there is a shortage in San Antonio.

      Delete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.