Monday, July 29, 2013

In Beaumont, Texas...

In a surprisingly nice La Quinta Inn...  We left Gulfport at about 9:00 or so and got to Beaumont just before 3:00.  Let me just say, the difference in infrastructure between Louisiana and Texas is striking.  It reminded me of the difference between the Republic of Georgia and Turkey in 1996.  We crossed the border and suddenly all the street lights worked.  In Texas, I noticed the roads were suddenly in much better shape and the speed limit was 75 MPH.

The weather is sauna like.  We stopped for lunch in Lafayette, LA and I noticed there was a call from my mom.  I was trying to hold the dogs while calling my mom.  I commented that it was like Hell.  She laughed and said she was pregnant with my sister in Shreveport, LA.  There was no air conditioning and she had morning sickness and a UTI.

Mom wanted to invite us to Thanksgiving again.  She made a point of telling me that my sisters all wanted me to come.  The idea fills me with dread.  I may acquiesce just to get them off my case.  Or maybe not.  We'll see.  I'd rather go to Costa Rica.

Bill is looking at a menu for a local Cajun restaurant.  I mentioned that it was probably owned by Greeks.  Sure enough, it is.

Tomorrow, we reach San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.