Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Home and cranky...

I already posted on my travel blog about how cranky I am.  I find the older I get, the less patience I have for air travel.  At least this time, no one from the TSA got on my case.

I'm sitting here at my desk, looking at all the trees and privacy we have at our current location and dreading the prospect of moving to a subdivision.  We still haven't heard about our application, but I did notice the house we applied for is not on AHRN (military housing site) anymore.  So I don't know if that means someone else got it or we did.  The one good thing about the new house-- if we get it-- is that the lawn is not nearly as obnoxious as the one here in North Carolina is.  And it has a very nice kitchen.  In fact, the house appears to be in better shape than the one we're in now is.

We didn't get in early enough to get the dogs.  I was really looking forward to seeing them tonight and I'm raggin', so I'm in a bit of a crappy mood tonight.

But... at least I'm not in a hospital, right Alexis?  I think that would really put me in a shitty mood.  As annoying as I found the flight attendants, I would probably find medical people much worse.  In fact, I KNOW I would.  It's one of the few characteristics I inherited from my dad.  I don't like to be told what to do.  That may be why I'm an overeducated housewife instead of an employed professional.

I think part of the reason I'm so cranky is also that the prospect of moving stresses me out.  Every time we move, we lose money and it takes time to bounce back.  And this move is going to take a long time and involves a long drive to Texas.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll get over my crankiness eventually. It will really help when the dogs are home and I'm not dealing with Aunt Flow anymore.  Also, it helps that I love Bill's mom and look forward to seeing her more often once we move.

I tell you one thing I noticed on our trip...  it actually made me kind of sad.  The outskirts of San Antonio look a lot like the outskirts of Fayetteville, North Carolina.  In fact, just about every southern city looks the same, thanks to all the shitty chain restaurants and big box stores we have in this country.

I think I would be a lot happier if we still lived in Europe, although they're headed that way, too... especially in the Czech Republic.    





 


2 comments:

  1. i don't envy your move.

    Anytime some sort of airline crisis happens, I thinkn about anyone I know who might be traveling by air. I knew you were going nowhere near the distance netween Seoul and SF, but I'm still glad you're safe. When I first heard of the tragedy all the info the CNN announcer was giving out was that the accident happened at SFO, and not where the flight was coming in from. It made me nervous because I have five relatives who were flying back from Honolulu that day. It made me rather nervous, although I don't wish to be selfish, because the two people who died and the I don't know how many people who were injured are someone's relatives. Still, I'm glad you and everyone else I know is safe.

    I don't know what went wrong with this particular flight, as no one seems to know for sure yet, but I don't think a lot of people stop to think just how much safer air travel is than traveling by auto. If the odds of being seriously injured or killed in a flight were as great as they are of being maimed or killed in an auto accident, I don't think many people would fly.

    I hope the house's disappearance on the list means you got it. I sort of understand where you're coming from with the privacy issue. For two years of my life, when my dad was doing even more work-related travel than usual, we lived in a house on one of my aunt's and uncle's dairies. It was a bit isolated. The only other kids to play with were my cousins and their cousins and a couple dairy workers' kids, and they were all half-a-mile away at the closest, but there was something liberating about being able to strip off muddy clothing in the front yard and be completely nude before I walked into the house. I was only five and seven those years, but still it's something one wouldn't do in the suburbs.

    My mom likes our present location, but she lived her final years at home in the country. Her dad was stationed at Castle Air Force Base which was near Merced , California, and the house was within what the C.O. considered reasonable driving distance (about fifteen minutes). When her dad went to a commercial airline, they bought a country property about a mile from CA-99, so it took him less than twenty minutes to get to the local airport and to hop a commuter flight. If it wasn't foggy, he took backroads and got there even faster. My mom was the youngest of 7, but by her teen years, most of the older kids had moved out, so she was accustomed to privacy and lots of room. She said when she got to Stanford and had to have a roommate in a tiny prison cell-sized room, and further, located in an urban area, she almost went crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The house now is notated with an "application" written in red. I guess that means they're working on it.

    I really like living in rural areas, even though suburbs tend to be more convenient. I like quiet and privacy.

    That plane crash sounds very scary.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on older posts will be moderated until further notice.